[3830] CQ160 CW N3HEE Single Op Assisted LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 30 11:30:05 EST 2022

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2022

Call: N3HEE
Operator(s): N3HEE
Station: N3HEE

Class: Single Op Assisted LP
QTH: SC

Total:  QSOs = 783  State/Prov = 57  Countries = 24  Total Score = 166,698

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

Wow, what a ride that was ! One of the things I love most about 160 meters is
the challenge it presents for those of us on less than an acre living in an HOA
neighborhood.

I made some antenna improvements prior to this contest and very glad I did. I
added more radials to the inverted L (Thanks to Ed KJ4R for supplying some
surplus wire he had on hand) for a total of 40 radials and added a 200 foot BOG
pointed NE. The BOG really paid off for hearing EU much better than ever before
and the extra radials seemed to help some too.

Friday started out good with decent S&P and run rates in the first three
hours before things leveled off. As the evening progressed I started hearing
lots of QRN from the Nor'easter heading up the East coast. Was treated to quite
a strong EU opening and able to put some much needed mults and 10 pointers into
the log. Stayed up until 4AM local time before calling it quits for the night.
Got back on at 6AM local and put about 60 more Q's in the log. Heard JA, ZL, UA9
but unable to work them. Ended the first session with 539 Q's and 54/21 mults.
Not bad but I knew I was a little behind so I had to hit it hard on Saturday to
try to beat last years score.

Started Saturday at 4PM local making local Q's before the sun went down. The
rates were very low and I knew I was in for a very long night if I wanted to
play catch up. Was hoping and depending on another good EU opening but it didn't
happen. I could hear lots of the Big Gun EU stations but they couldn't hear me.
I only put one EU mult in the log. I did manage to work RI, DC and WY to
complete working the lower 48 states. DC was very weak and I could only hear him
on the BOG ?

Sunday morning was the most fun I've had on 160 in a long time!  Playing catch
up I stayed up all night and glad I did. I was able to hear and put quite a few
extra Q's and another handful of mults into the log including a JA at sunrise. I
heard and nearly worked a pretty strong KL7SB. He heard N3? but the pile up of
impatient ops made it very tough to complete the QSO. It was fun just listening
to Steve work the KL7 pileup. Quite a few made it into his log before he faded
away. Also heard  ZL and UA9 again but no luck working them. I missed working
160 meter WAS in a single weekend by one state (KL7)! No worries though because
I already have WAS on 160 meters.

Total of 673 two pointers, 76 five pointers and 33 ten pointers. More 5 and 10
pointers this year but five fewer multipliers this year than last. I made 64
more Q's this year to bring me over the top with 166,698 vs 160,218 last year. I
probably left a good 50-100 Q's on the table spending time chasing EU Q's and
mults ?

Once again it was a blast watching the online scoreboard and congrats to Fred
KG9X for putting up an excellent score from the mid west. That cant be easy. I
would have quit much earlier if it wasn't for Fred piling on the points to keep
me in the chair as long as I did ! We traded the lead several times during the
contest. He is a great op.

Thanks to all the patient ops with big stations and good ears to help us little
peashooters have some fun in the contests!

Joe,
N3HEE

Flex 6600M/100W and single wire antenna.