[3830] ARRL FD KB4CG 1B LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sat Jul 2 10:37:20 EDT 2022

                    ARRL Field Day - 2022

Call: KB4CG
Operator(s): KB4CG
Station: KB4CG

Class: 1B LP
QTH: VA

   40:  280     30
   20:  161     19
   15:  131      8
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------
Total:  810     57      0  Total Score = 3,354

Many thanks to all the stations I worked - I wish I could have worked more, but
I ran out of time!  🙂

I started on my favorite band, 15 meters, but band conditions were less than
stellar, so it was tough sledding at the beginning.  I tried a few minutes on 10
meters, but it was dead: all I could manage was a single ground wave contact
with another VA station.  Nothing else heard, so I went back to 15 for a few
more contacts.

Despite the poor band conditions, 15 meters nonetheless enabled several contacts
to western states from VA (e.g., ARRL sections SCV, AZ, MT, WWA, OR, SB, SDG,
etc.) which is the expected path on that band.

But then later in FD, 15 meter propagation changed dramatically.  All contacts
on Sunday morning were short skip to eastern US sections such as NNJ, NNY, TN,
NFL, WV, EPA, etc. which was completely different than at the start of FD.
This short opening on 15 on Sunday morning was unexpected, and great!  It
provided a rich source of FD contacts that otherwise would not have been
worked!

You can learn a lot from FD -- including propagation!

Look forward to next year!

Jack KB4CG