[3830] IARU K8CN SOABCW QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jul 10 09:13:13 EDT 2022

                    IARU HF World Championship - 2022

Call: K8CN
Operator(s): K8CN
Station: K8CN

Class: SOABCW QRP
QTH: NH

   40:   48             6       5
   20:   75            11      12
   15:   92             7      11
   10:   23             6       2
-------------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

I've been out of QRP mode (mostly) for the past year or so, mainly because I've
been using my K2/10 with outboard KPA100/KAT100 for Thursday night NCCC sprints
and casual DXing. My sole antenna is a poor excuse for a real antenna: a 135
foot doublet suspended across tree branches about 30 feet up at its highest. One
leg slopes downward to about 10 feet above ground, the other hangs in a U-shape.

Nevertheless, I decided to rejoin the QRP trenches for this one just for the fun
of seeing who could hear me.  Propagation was definitely more favorable on 15M
than any other band for me given the poor antenna, but 20M was much better
Saturday night to EU than at any earlier time that day.  I was too tired from
poor sleep Friday night to stay up Saturday night and benefit from 40M
propagation.  Still experiencing self-induced RFI to the logging computer USB
ports on 80M and 160M even at 5 watts, so no effort on those bands at all even
for the 1-pointers.  Great to make a few Qs on 10M, too.  This was a 99.9%
S&P effort - only felt loud enough for a brief time to warrant running on
15M.

Many thanks to the patient ops who pulled my weak signals out of noise - if
there's QRM, I never win!  Restoration of my Lazy H and getting the 135 foot
doublet back high in the air are obvious priorities, but I never seem to set
aside days for antenna work........and I thought retirement would open unlimited
vistas of radio time - ha!

73/72,
Mike, K8CN

Rig: K2/10 at 5 watts, sole antenna as described above.