[3830] CQWW VHF N0URW SOSB/6 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jul 18 23:11:18 EDT 2022

                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest - 2022

Call: N0URW
Operator(s): N0URW
Station: N0URW

Class: SOSB/6 HP
QTH: Iowa
Operating Time (hrs):

    6:  278   121
Total:  278   121  Total Score = 33,638

Still working on getting something big up for 2 meters, put up temp antenna to
give out a few points. Took my 6 element 6 meter yagi down and added a 7th
element. This was 2 weeks before this test. My logging laptop computer gave me
the blue screen of death two weeks before this test. (glad it wasn't during this
test) Installed a new hard drive and operating system. Everything seemed to be
good to go at contest start time.
Saturday:::   The start was slow on 6 meters. But the band was open East / South
East, to FM down to EL grids. I was on ssb picking up as many as I could.
Signals were great !!!. FT8 was a packed house. I don't understand why. Why
would you waste all that time on FT8 working +30 dB signals, when you could
easily work them much faster on ssb. If someone knows the answer, please email
me. The 6 meter band opened to the North East around 2200. Nice to work almost a
100 q's an hour on ssb. But it didn't last. The band was still in good shape for
ssb contacts. just very few to work. Most went to FT8. I tried FT4 but only saw
K1TO there calling. I had already worked him on ssb :) The rest of the night I
switched from FT8 to ssb every hour just to keep from falling a sleep. I copied
a lot of California stations on FT8. But for some reason, none of them could
copy me.
Pulled the plug around midnight here. I normally sleep in until 10 am. (I'm
retired) so getting up at 5am was very strange. Tried some ssb and FT8, but
nothing. Went to MSK144 and made 6 contacts very quick. Wish more would try this
mode. I had lots to do on Sunday, so unless the 6 meter band opens and there are
ssb contacts to be made. I was not going to sit here and run FT8. Well as other
have said, the band was dead. FT8 was only thing happening. I went off to do my
Sunday work. When I got back 2 hours later it was still all FT8. I called on ssb
and had a DM station answer me. I spun the beam South/South West and made
several ssb contacts from Texas all the way to Vegas. Funny thing is, All most
everyone of these contacts told me they had no idea the band was open for ssb
contacts. They were all over on FT8. Not a lot of population of hams out that
way on 6 meters. But it was fun. I ended up back on FT8  if I wanted to make
anymore contacts. Really, really boring !!!. I was almost thrilled when my
logging computer went into update mode with one hour left in the contest. After
30 minutes it said 12% complete, so I shut everything down. Took over 3 hours to
do its update. Wow !!!
 Icom 7300, HF 2000 amp, 7 element at 55 Feet.
 73,  May we meet again :)