[3830] WPX CW KK6P M/2 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Jun 1 11:58:23 EDT 2022

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW - 2022

Call: KK6P
Operator(s): KC1KUG AA4LS W0AAE DJ4MX
Station: KK6P

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: SB
Operating Time (hrs): 48
Remote Operation

   20: 1360

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

I am in KL7 working, so I opened the station to a group of young contesters to
run M2 in WPX.  A good effort from the West Coast for them!    Paul / W7IV

First of all, HUGE thank you to Paul, W7IV for hosting us at his incredible
station in California. This station was designed with WPX in mind. Featuring a
massive 4/4 stack on 40m, it made the band sound like 20m, which is a challenge
from the W6. 6-pointer after 6-pointer, the score just kept climbing.

Congratulations to the NX6T team. They really showed us how it’s done.

Charles and I planned to do this contest long in advance, and we thought we were
prepared. We weren’t.

We were planning on an iron-man style operation with just two operators until we
decided we needed a third op. I tried relentlessly to find a last minute
operator to no avail. Eventually, Charles suggested we ask Sven, DJ4MX. I asked
him, but he didn’t have a US license, which is a no-go for remote. It was now
the Wednesday before the contest and we still had no third op.

Sven then messaged me a few hours later asking what it would take to get a
license before the contest. Though the chances he would get a call before the
contest were slim, I asked my friend Colin, WW0CJ anyway. He is a VE for GLAARG,
and they do online testing sessions. Colin got a test session set up and Sven
took and passed his test all within an hour and a half of inquiring.

Now it was a waiting game. Was Sven going to get a call before the contest?
Thanks to the quick work of Colin and his team, Sven was assigned KC1RIE on
Friday morning. This meant M/2 was a go.

We did run into a few issues, though. One of which being band conditions. We
were very excited for the high bands after seeing the amazing conditions the
week prior. This, especially from W6, didn’t hold up. We were disappointed to
see that 20m was barely open to Europe at the start. We turned the tower to JA
and started with a great first hour of 61 on 20m and  67 on 15m. The rate
quickly slowed after the 03z hour. From here, we were running combined rates of
under 100, very few of which being EU 6-pointers.

Around 0630z, we started running Asians on 40. These Qs really helped the score
a lot. This lasted until local sunrise. We worked a total of 200 JAs on 40. This
was quite good.

Sometime during the first night, Charles’s power went out, and Sven was
asleep, so I had to go to find another op… quicklike. Gerry’s XK1AAA
operation was done for the night due to Kp5, so I asked him, and he delivered.
He was on until Charles was back. Thanks!

Anyway, I don’t want to make this too long (I probably already did 🙂, so
I’ll stop here.

Bray, KC1KUG, on behalf of the KK6P team