[3830] ARRL Dig K7HKR SO1R-24 LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jun 5 22:45:12 EDT 2022

                    ARRL Digital Contest - 2022

Call: K7HKR
Operator(s): K7HKR
Station: K7HKR

Class: SO1R-24 LP
QTH: AZ

Total:  226  Total Score = 2,500

3 el on 6m and 10m, 2el on 15m and 20m (the latter loaded and half-length)
All antennas at about 20ft and only one deployed at a time
IC-7100, 90W max, from AZ

I hadn't been on the air since last July for various reasons.  For the first
time in 30+ years of having "real" computers, I have a Windows
machine, dedicated to radio.  It’s one of those mini PCs the same size as a
cell phone, but twice as thick.  Just enough oomph to handle a 10MHz SDR for FM
broadcast band, and no problems with WSJT-X or other ham software.

I did a shake-down run Friday afternoon on 10m FT8, working 8 SA, 1 EU, and a
few domestics in a hour.  It took me a bit to get everything working, but
nothing too onerous.

Saturday afternoon wasn’t going that great on 6, 10, or 15, partly because I
didn’t realize we had an alternate space for FT8.  I came back after 9pm and
switched to 20 (up the ladder, in the dark, swap the beam and elements, yeehaw).
 I managed almost 100 QSOs in 5 hours, including a run of 31 QSOs on FT4 in 50
minutes, mostly overseas.  Only RTTY can compete with the rates I can get at my
station with the FT modes.

I didn’t get back to the radio until the last 5 hours of the contest, but
managed another 122 QSOs, including a peak 60 minutes on FT4 of 36 QSOs and 14
in 13 minutes at one point on 20m.  FT4 has some issues, but when its going
smoothly, it’s great!  I waited until after the contest to import the WSJT log
into N1MM to get the scoring.

A few other notes: highest scoring QSO was a YC0 for 31 pts.  QSO breakdowns: 19
JA, 35(!) EU, 14 SA, 7 KH6, 3 VK/ZL.  All 6 radio continents thanks to 1 EA8.