[3830] ARRL Dig KO9A SO1R-8 LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jun 6 10:29:14 EDT 2022

                    ARRL Digital Contest - 2022

Call: KO9A
Operator(s): KO9A
Station: KO9A

Class: SO1R-8 LP
QTH: EN52xc

Total:  50  Total Score = 130

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Thought the concept behind this contest was good and when I first heard about it
but I assumed this would be the FT8/Digi version of the 48 hour DX contests.
Was surprised to read the rules when first published, and even more curious that
6m was included.

Being an avid 6m op, I felt semi-obligated to give this a go as single band 6m
to see what would happen...end result was a snoozefest.  I had no strategy going
in other than hammer away on 6m for the first 8 hours and see what happens.

It's hard to complain about conditions when a european (JN69) snuck into the log
during the first hour, but the band was closing up shop pretty much right at the
start.  Ended up working 21 unique grids, most local with a few very sporadic Es
QSOs sneaking into the log in the early afternoon and evening.

Counted on one hand the number of other CQ Testers observed on 6m.  I expected
activity to be light, but virtually non-existent was a surprise.

This ended up being a good tune up before June VHF in how to handle and
manipulate JTDX and MSHV users into completing a QSO.  Sure would be nice if
other programs handled VHF contest mode but no good solution seems to be on the
horizon.  What a shame.

All QSOs were FT8, no action heard on FT4 or other modes.  Thanks to the
tropo/groundwave folks who took mercy on me and gave me a QSO.

Rig:  101MP (throttled back to 100W)
Ant:  5 el Op-Des yagi @ 30'

Suggestions:

- Remove 6m.  We have 3 serious events (June VHF, CQ VHF, Sep VHF) and 2 minor
events (Spring and Fall 6m Sprints) in the span of 5 months.  I don't think we
need another.

- Make a real digital complement to the CW/SSB bigboy DX contests.  This isn't
it.  The RTTY roundup isn't it.

- Schedule.  If this is intended to be the digi-complement of the big boy DX
contests, place it between the two on the calendar.

73

Jim KO9A