[3830] ARRL June VHF WB0TEV Single Op-All Modes HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jun 12 23:40:16 EDT 2022

                    ARRL June VHF Contest - 2022

Call: WB0TEV
Operator(s): WB0TEV
Station: WB0TEV

Class: Single Op-All Modes HP
QTH: NTX
Operating Time (hrs): 9:08

    6:  135   124
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  135   124  Total Score = 16,740

Club: DFW Contest Group

Comments:

This was my first time to operate this contest in my 46 years as a ham.  Did
nothing but 6m FT8.  Don't have a 6m antenna up yet so I let the KPA1500 load up
my Mosley PRO-67B HF beam at 63 feet with anywhere from 600-1000 watts.
Not a serious effort, hardly ever called CQ, just clicked on callers from new
grids.  Wandered in and out of the shack a lot over the course of the weekend.
Used WSJT-X mated with N1MM+.  Sunday afternoon I looked over on 50.323 and saw
a bunch of EU DX.  Up to now I had never worked (or barely heard) anything on 6m
from Europe.  Dumped the WSJT-x for EW1 & N1MM+ and fired up my regular QSO
version of WSJT-X and starting calling Europeans.  Picked up almost a dozen new
DXCC's on 6m.  (Those won't be in my contest log).  Did equivalent of VUCC in
one weekend, and hopefully managed to add a few new grids to the 200+ I already
had.

Gave me something to do while I finish recovering from a bout of COVID.
Fortunately between some combination of being vaxxed and boosted and it likely
being the less nasty Omicron variant, symptomatically it feels no different from
a bothersome cold with sore throat and some nasal congestion. Thankfully it is
resolving, although the first day (Wednesday), I had a fever of 101, not that
much different from the air temperature outisde the last couple of days here in
sunny North Texas.

I may have to do this again. (The VHF contest part, not the COVID!!)
To quote the song by Phish, "Down with Disease"!
73,
Victor WB0TEV in EM13