[3830] ARRL June VHF KM4KMU Single Op-All Modes LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Jun 16 13:37:05 EDT 2022

                    ARRL June VHF Contest - 2022

Call: KM4KMU
Operator(s): KM4KMU
Station: KM4KMU

Class: Single Op-All Modes LP
QTH: FM16WV

  222:    1     1
  432:    1     1
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  146   102  Total Score = 15,096

Planned on running a 2 person multi-op but shortly after set up the second
station had serious problems so my buddy never got on the air and it ended up
being just me as SOLP.  Very happy with the results.  Being at Sea Level with
100W in an RF noisy environment (urban with 2 nearby Naval bases) I dont expect
a lot, certainly not like being on a mountain top.  As expected rates were half
to a third of what I get on FM alone when up high.  144,222 & 432 were very
noisy.  Only five PH QSY's.  I was able to use FT8 free text to lure 2 6m FT8
contacts to 2m and 1 of them over to 432.  Not a single 4 band run with anyone.

6m FT8 was my primary hangout.  I dont like FT8 but its a necessary tool. When
FT8 showed -10 or better on a bearing I jumped to PH on that bearing and
generated much better rates and multi's doing S&P or a limited amount of
running in that general direction.  Many hours were spent with an empty FT8
waterfall and silence on all phone bands despite lots of bearing changes, CQ
calling and knob spinning.  Sunday morning was the worst.  5 hours of total
silence. then a heavy thunderstorm rolled through and as soon as it was over 6m
lit up wonderfully with the best propagation of the weekend in almost all
directions.

FT8 was essential in finding the openings that let me work PH.  Openings from
FM16 out to to DN, DM, EN, EM and EL generally lasted under an hour each
direction so using FT8 to notice those openings and jump on them was essential.
That approach accounted for about 35% of my total QSO's being on PH. The NE
(upper FN land) was more difficult than usual, but mode and bearing agility paid
off with a god number of FN contacts.

The longest range QSO's were on FT8 at just over 2,000 miles.
Half of the 6m Phone contacts were 900 miles or better with the best being 1,600
miles to K0MT in Denver.

Great fun.  Learned a lot and already strategizing for September.  I need to
find a way to combine FM QSO counts with PH & DG multiplier counts.  That
would easily triple my scores.

73
John
KM4KMU