[3830] TBDC K1LT Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jun 19 11:45:45 EDT 2022

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Summer

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: EM89ps
Operating Time (hrs): 5.5
OpMode: SO2R

Total:  QSOs = 142  Total Score = 417

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Most of Saturday was consumed by the process of evicting ants from the
resonator boxes at the bottom of a couple of the short verticals.
There seems to be no way to construct a box that is open to the
atmosphere to allow moisture to escape while keeping the ants out.  On
the other hand, the marine grade enclosures I use to house the
direction relays seem to stay dry.  Next time, I'll make new resonator
boxes using the marine enclosures.

I operate low power during the summer Stew because high power attracts
too many stations I simply cannot copy.  Also leaving the amplifier
off makes operation a little quieter, although the K3 fan noise
becomes noticeable.

Last year my first contact was at 2250Z.  This year, only VE3MGY was
on that early.  It was another hour before the rate meter began to
move.

The band was very quiet.  There was virtually no static and signals
were quite weak.  The only stations I heard were in the EMxx, ENxx,
FMxx, and FNxx grids, except for KP2M.

I screwed up my nap timing and quit an hour early at 0410Z.  At this
point, my best DX was KP2M and second best was K5TIA.  I returned to
the radio at 0940Z and worked a few more stations including W6AYC who
was my best DX and only grid west of EM00.

Equipment: K3S/100, P3, K3/100, homebrew SO2R stuff, 2 phased array /
SDR receiving systems, 12 Beverages (none used), 'tee' antenna 60 feet
tall over 75 radials.