[3830] TBDC KK4R Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jun 19 20:03:57 EDT 2022

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Summer

Call: KK4R
Operator(s): KK4R
Station: KK4R

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: va

Total:  QSOs = 44  Total Score = 71

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

My wife is in Madagascar, about as far away as she gets, so this
was my opportunity to spend hours in a nighttime contest without
upset.  However, conditions didn't make it worth losing sleep
over.  The same ten stations were heard calling CQ every time I
scanned the band, and calling CQ myself would only net a few qsos
Some stations called me, but I just couldn't pull them out of the
noise.  Oh well, I wimped out and went to bed.  Apologies to the
hams that II couldn't pull out of the noise.  I felt a bit like
an alligator, all mouth and no ears.  QSB was part of the
problem, and perseverance did get me a few contacts.  It will be
interesting to hear what other folks have to say.  Was the noise,
20dB over S9, as bad where you were?  Did conditions get better
towards dawn?  My best contact was about 700 miles away and most
were within 500 miles.  What was your experience.  Rig is a K3
and KPA500, and antenna is an inverted L.