[3830] WVQP N8II Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Jun 21 15:25:42 EDT 2022

                    West Virginia QSO Party - 2022

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WV

   80:   55     42
   15:   10     17
   10:    2      4
----------------------------
Total:  291    540      0  Mults = 92  Total Score = 101,524

I have to start off thanking those in the state QP community for many QSO's over
the years. Thanks to some excellent sporadic E until around 20Z to many areas it
was possible to work many ops on 4 or 5 bands. The "excessive QSO tax"
winners this year with a sweep of CW and SSB on all 5 bands were Con, K5CM (we
actually made non-counter Q's on 6M also) and Steve, AA4TI with 10 QSO's each.
Mark WB9HFK came oh so close with 9, and Jim W4EE found me for 8. Those with 7
Q"s: John K4BAI (we have worked many hundreds of times over the years!),
Bill KV0I. 6 Q's: AA3R in DE. 5 Q's: ND4Y, NS2N, WA2JQK. 4 Q's: N4II, N6AR,
N4RA, W3US, Bill W1WBB (RI was rare), W0JYT, VE9ML, W4SSF, and WN4AFP. Your
"tax bills" will be emailed out soon and the levy can be reduced with
future band/mode QSY's and any other contest QSO's.

Conditions could not have been much better the first 2 hours with very short
skip on 20M in virtually all directions. By about 1720Z however my SSB run was
drying up (started first 36 minutes on 20 CW with good rate). Following lunch I
made the most band/mode moves while the Es was still very good. My rate dropped
off to the 70's at 19 and 20Z mostly operating 20 and 40 with a few time wasting
tries at running on 10M SSB. My best hours were after dinner at 23Z with with 71
Q's on 20 followed by 46 Q's on 40 for 117. At 00Z 98 Q's on 40 followed by 20
on 80 CW for 118. The best overall was on 40 phone from 0000Z until 0033Z with a
nice pile up for about 25 minutes. All evening long I had to frequently switch
bands and modes to keep the rate up with some notable lulls. Most baffling of
all was almost no luck running on 20M after dark which has never been the case
in recent years. I was afraid I wouldn't make 100K until a switch to 40 CW 0244Z
with a run of 25 new Q's.

I worked all of the continental USA states missing AK (poor condx) and HI. I
missed VE1, VE5, VO2, and all of the territories up north in Canada.

(More to follow)