[3830] ARRL FD K5WA 2E LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Jun 28 12:33:46 EDT 2022

                    ARRL Field Day - 2022

Call: K5WA
Operator(s): JE1JKL K5WA
Station: K5WA

Class: 2E LP
QTH: STX
Operating Time (hrs): 9
Remote Operation

   40:  207     14
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

FD this year was an experiment using remote login by Saty, JE1JKL, in Japan to
my station in STX.  We are partners for WRTC next year and we may never have a
chance to operate together prior to WRTC so this was our first contest together.
 We wanted to see how N1MM networked and how we could improve communication
between us.  It worked pretty well!  We found a couple of items that we needed
to be aware of or fix but, all in all, it worked great and we had fun in the 9
hours we operated.  This was Saty's first FD so he got a good taste of the FD
operating experience.

I also got to try out my K4's new firmware with CESSB and the better CW filters.
 I didn't set up any voice messages and wished I had because I needed a breather
between CQs.  ;-)

My funniest moment was when I worked an 11 year old operator on SSB and chatted
with him/her for a couple of seconds to see if they were having fun in FD.  As
we were wrapping up, I asked "How old are you?".  They answered
"73".  I said "You sure don't sound like you're 73!".  All I
heard was laughter as they realized they had stuck to their script and not
answered the question.  I heard their Elmer in the background saying "Tell
him you're 11" and that's how I knew the age but they never spoke into the
mic again.  Hope they had a ball.

Thanks for the Qs!

Bob K5WA