[3830] ARRLDX SSB W6YX(N7MH) SOUAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 6 17:39:27 EST 2022

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2022

Call: W6YX
Operator(s): N7MH
Station: W6YX

Class: SOUAB HP
QTH: Stanford

  160:   1      1
   80:   7      7
   40:  20     20
   10:  22     22
-------------------
Total:  50     50  Total Score = 7,500

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

With K2YY operating SB15 and KN6MYI adding to his DXCC totals in SOUAB from the
station I didn't plan to get on for long. Saturday morning I was on 10 for about
an hour and a half, looking for packet spots for David, WD6T, at LO5D.

There was no recent LO5D spot when I started so I recorded callsign and exchange
messages to work a few stations. First called ZF1A who asked me to repeat my
report. Oops, I'd recorded "59 3" instead of the state. That's when I
discovered the footswitch wasn't working so I couldn't give a fill. I
fumble-fingered turning on the K3 VOX and ended up on a different band. When I
got back to 10 with the VOX on the sensitivity was too high and tripping with my
breathing and movement. Deciding it was unwise to continue with a feature I
NEVER use, I turned off VOX. The ZF1A op meanwhile asked if I was in California
and I sent my Thanks message. Apologies to the ZF1A op for the confusion.

After re-recording the exchange message and reseating PTT cabling I both had the
correct message and PTT from the footswitch working. I decided to work only
mults, avoiding LUs until I found David. After calling a bunch of times while
David was buried under a louder station, he QSYed to a clear spot and we made
the QSO. I went QRT shortly after as I'd run out of packet spot mults on 10 that
I was able to hear.

In the late evening I returned for a short stint on the low bands. I heard only
4A7S on 160. I heard more on 80 but had to run low power with the K3 ATU as both
inverted vees had high SWR in the phone band. I finally quit when I'd worked all
of the spotted mults except the few on 80 who couldn't copy my LP signal. I
tuned across 160/80/40, spotting unspotted DX stations, but only worked one or
two new mults this way.

73,
-Mike, N7MH