[3830] Commonwealth VA1RST SO(A)-Open-24 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 13 12:07:33 EDT 2022

                    RSGB Commonwealth Contest - 2022

Call: VA1RST
Operator(s): VA1RST
Station: VA1RST

Class: SO(A)-Open-24 HP
QTH: Nova Scotia
Operating Time (hrs): 14:24

   80:   60      280
   40:  151      620
   20:  151      640
   15:   68      220
   10:    0        0
-----------------------
Total:  430     1760  Total Score = 3,950

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

Thanks for the QSO's!!

We had quite a weather event during the contest...

The 80m antenna stayed up through the wind storm as it usually unravels from one
of the end insulators on purpose, my safety valve so to speak.

Contacts were made with VK1,2,3,5,6,7.  A VU2 popped up S9+ like out of nowhere
on what seemed like a dead 20m band. Many other great DX opportunities were
claimed...goes to show you just have to be in the chair with your ears on!

I started on 40m as that had been my experience last year to pick up VK and ZL.
Then I migrated to 20 and raised the 2 el yagi up to ionosphere scaling heights,
40 ft, my what a pile-up to contend with, great fun, and then to 15 and back up
the chain as the day went on. A few excursions back and forth as opportunities
arose.

My "social secretary" had us out for the evening so some productive
time was lost but harmony on the other side of the fence was a good thing!!

Back in the shack about 0400 UTC to gather in Q's on 80, then off to 40 to round
out the event. Got pretty slow and condx were say, is dismal too kind???

The SAL-20 and BOG were put to use on 80/40 to combat the noise on the receiving
side.

My but there are a lot of G land operators!! Thanks!!!

Managed 17 25 pointers and improved over last year's QSO count and claimed
score. A happy ham.

Rig Expert Electronics SunSDR2 Pro, Palstar LA-1K amp 750 watts, 2 el SteppIR
yagi, 40m vertical (1/2 of future 2 el phased array!), 80/40 inverted vee.

Until the next one, 73 Roger VA1RST