[3830] VaQP K4HQK SOAB/MixedFixed HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 21 16:47:54 EDT 2022

                    Virginia QSO Party - 2022

Call: K4HQK
Operator(s): K4HQK
Station: K4HQK

Class: SOAB/MixedFixed HP
QTH: ALX Alexandria, VA

  160:    0      0      0
   80:   83      0      0
   40:  212    177      0
   20:   21      0      0
   15:    0      0      0
   10:    0      0      0
    6:    0      0      0
    2:    0      0      0
  UHF:    0      0      0
----------------------------
Total:  316    177      0  Mults = 108  Total Score = 85,968

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Despite having lived in Virginia since 1977, I didn’t discover the VAQP until
2019. In that year and the next two my effort was mostly or entirely CW. This
time I discovered the rich field of SSB running—not S&P, but calling CQ
with a mention of ALX, my somewhat rare location--and then managing the pileup.
I don’t think I’ve ever felt as much like a DXpedition on Bouvet Island! CW
was still my primary mode, but I gained many QSOs by starting runs on 40m SSB
that I could never have accomplished operating S&P. Frankly, I hadn't
realized so many participated in state QSO parties on SSB; I thought CW
dominated. And so it was a breathtaking but satisfying experience. I’ll be
sure to include SSB runs, then, in future QSO parties.

I would add that I also had several good CW runs, especially on 40m, plus a
fairly good one Saturday night on 80m. I experienced a short one (20 calls)
Sunday on 20m that brought in a few inexplicable calls from European stations.

Although my time was a bit limited by family demands, I did manage 13 hours
spread over five sessions. The results:

No. of states worked: 34
No. of Canadian provinces worked: 4
No. of Virginia’s 133 counties/independent cities worked: 70
No. of DX countries worked (answered my CQs): 4

Operating conditions included good propagation but plenty of QRN Saturday night,
and for a while, Sunday morning from a northeast storm system.

We often say, perhaps out of obligation, that we “had fun” in a contest. I
honestly did in this one, and eagerly look forward to next year’s. You can’t
beat that feeling of being “DX”--from the home shack.

73, John K4HQK
ALX Alexandria

Station: Icom 7410, ALS-600 amp, dipoles, Cushcraft R6000 vertical