[3830] WPX SSB AB1J SOSB40 TB-Wires LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 28 10:11:24 EDT 2022

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2022

Call: AB1J
Operator(s): AB1J
Station: AB1J

Class: SOSB40 LP
Class Overlay: TB-Wires
QTH: Waltham, EMA

For me phone contests are like going to a foreign country where I just know a
smidgeon of the language and have to rely on body language and facial
expressions to make sense of it all. Since this is radio, not TV, I'm pretty
much lost.

Transmitting isn't much better. My wife says I mumble.

I operated like I used to long ago. Casually working a few stations here and
there. I spotted almost everyone I heard, whether I worked them or not. Usually
not. Had to be careful, though, since, as noted above, I find contest phone
signals difficult to copy.

The goal was to get 100 40m QSOs just to say I did it.

All S&P on both bands. There were some stations whose calls or exchanges I
could never understand so I skipped over them. Spots and the SCP were useful
many times. I'm familiar with lots of calls, so my own mental SCP helped.

This reminds me of tricks I have used to figure out calls. Like back in the Cold
War days when I head a call starting with Yellow it was almost always an East
German Y## call. They would never say Yankee. Not even Damn Yankee.

I'll be more active in the CW section where I'm fairly fluent in the language.

73,
Ken, AB1J

Flex 6500
N1MM Logger+
66' end fed outdoor stealth wire on 40m and 15m. Old Dentron manual tuner.
LoTW  eQSL  ClubLog