[3830] WPX SSB AA4VT M/2 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 28 13:13:21 EDT 2022

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2022

Call: AA4VT
Operator(s): AA4VT AA4V W4GE NZ4CW KB4DX
Station: AA4VT

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: fm02ar

   20: 1201

Club: Carolina DX Association

Comments:

The big difference between this HP multi/2 station and most others is that it is
situated on a typical residential 1/4 acre lot within a subdivision.  Indeed,
the entire operation, including tower and ham shack, is solely in the back yard
of the lot, giving us about 1/8 of an acre to work with. Yes, we had some
interference between stations, but nothing we couldn't work through.

Our most critical problem was manpower.  Many of the crew had other commitments
which left us short-staffed during the nightshift, so we weren't able to take
advantage of two transmitters during the hours from midnight to 6am.

But, overall, it was a grand time to be had by five 63-78 year-old guys.  I
mean, how much excitement can we take at these ages?  Best of all, we beat last
years score by 2.2M points.  Not bad for a bunch of old timers.  Some new blood
would really help though.

Thanks to all for hearing and logging us and for your grace under fire.  Truly a
gentlemen and ladies sport.

The team: Dave, AA4VT, Steve, AA4V, Craig, NZ4CW, John, KB4DX, Rick, W4GE

Rigs:  2 x K3(s)/P3; KPA1500 and Acom 2000A amps; Filtermax, VE6AM, and LBS low
and high-power band pass filters and triplexers; many PC and Raspberry pi
controllers; hundreds of feet of control cables connecting it all together; and
about 300lbs of ferrite Common Mode Chokes.

Antennas (all on one 72ft crank up tower):

TX antennas: 3 element SteppIR at 92 ft (20-10m), 2 element Optibeam OB4030
(40-30m) at 72ft, 3 element SteppIR at 57 ft (20-10m) on a Ringrotor and 1/4
wave inverted L for 80m. The tower is shunt loaded for 160m.

RX antennas: NE/SE/NW/SW pennants.

Special thanks to Dave, AA4VT for the engineering and the thousands of hours in
putting this station together, to his wife Missy for putting up with all the
paraphernalia and the grey-haired geeks gathering together in the house on
contest weekends.

73, Rick
W4GE