[3830] WPX SSB WN4AFP SOAB TB-Wires LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 28 13:34:27 EDT 2022

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2022

Call: WN4AFP
Operator(s): WN4AFP
Station: WN4AFP

Class: SOAB LP
Class Overlay: TB-Wires
QTH: SC
Operating Time (hrs): 13
Remote Operation

Club: Swamp Fox Contest Group

Comments:

This contest was a great adventure for me. For the last nine years, I have
operated as a SO Single Band 40m TB/Wires in this contest. In 2018, I had the
highest score for North America in the category. This was before the Overlay
rule change in 2021. This year a faced a challenge. To participate in this
contest, I would have to operate from two different locations. One at the shack
and a remote operation from another house. With this in mind, I didn't have my
remote set-up for SSB yet, so I decided to only work the contest from my shack
and that would be on 15m only. I was away from the shack for the first 16 hours
and I had the time to work the contest, but I wasn't set-up for it. So at 2300z
on Saturday, I decided to configure N1MM+ for 'micless' 100% voice keying from
my remote location. By 0045z on Sunday, N1MM+ was ready to go and I made my
first SSB contact with total voice keying with N1MM+ AND I changed my category
to ALL BANDS...I had to test it in real-time. My first contact was with N9KE and
the system actually worked for QSO number 71. I was one the air until 0648z
operating in 'stealth' mode. There were times when someone would ask me a
question or make a personal comment and I couldn't respond, so I hit my QSL key.
WN8HCV asked me about my original license date for my WN4 callsign. It was 1975.
I also had many of my CW brothers make comments about my QRS phone operation. It
was a positive learning experience. I made at least 200 Qs using the remote
micless set-up. Once the voice keying was set-up, I found it helpful when I was
operating with a mic, to have the ability to use the voice macros when needed. I
believe that the voice keying audio may have had a bit more 'punch' int he
exchange than my mic. This new option will allow me to be much more competitive
in the SSB contests. Even with 13 hours in this contest, I made 310 Qs and
worked 56 DXCC entities. One cool contact was working T70A in San Marino. My
only other San Marino contact was back in 1980's when I worked M1I. Another neat
contact was with with VJ3J with a 59 signal on 20m early on Saturday morning. Mt
little TS-50 and my 80m OCF at 55' played very well. Signals were amazing and
activity was plentiful during the weekend.

I worked three of my fellow Swamp Fox members... NU4E, K4QQG and KG4IGC. It
looks like our 30 member contesting club put up an incredible club score too.

Watch our for me in the next SSB contest... :)

73
Dave WN4AFP
Director - State QSO Party stateqsoparty.com
VP - Swamp Fox Contest Group swampfoxcontestgroup.com (South Carolina\'s only
state-wide contest club)