[3830] InQP N9UNX OneCnty Portable QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sat May 7 22:26:54 EDT 2022

                    Indiana QSO Party - 2022

Call: N9UNX
Operator(s): N9UNX
Station: N9UNX

Class: OneCnty Portable QRP
QTH:

   40:   59     35
--------------------
Total:   59     35  CW Mults = 35  Ph Mults = 0  Total Score = 4,130

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

A disappointing and short INQP today.  I made arrangements to setup on a
property in Dearborn county (1.5 hrs from the QTH).  Left home at 8am, got to
the site, and took my time putting up a 130 ft end-fed.  Turned everything on,
and discovered S9+ noise on 40m, and S7+ on 20m.  Desperate, I eventually tried
a dipole to see if it made a difference, but it did not (I didn't think it
would, but I felt like I had to try).

I had intended to operate for at least 10 hours, but in the end I only operated
for about 3.75 hours, managing only 59 QSOs (all CW).  Granted, I was QRP, and I
didn't think I'd be logging 100 an hour.  With all the noise though, I just
couldn't hear well at all.  There were some that were logged fairly easily, but
most of the time I was asking for repeats.  I sent a lot of "?".  To
those of you who hung in there, thanks and I'm glad you got the mult.  To those
who, even after trying for a while, heard "SRI NIL", my apologies.  I
really tried, but just couldn't hear well at the operating location.

The wind and cool temperature, noise, and 15 Qs/hr rate made it easy to decide
to end the day early.

I guess if I want to do portable again next year, I'll have to go to the site
beforehand to know whether or not it will be viable.  Lesson learned.