[3830] 50SprngSprnt NV4B/R Rover LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon May 16 18:16:56 EDT 2022

                    50 MHz Spring Sprint - 2022

Call: NV4B/R
Operator(s): NV4B
Station: NV4B/R

Class: Rover LP
QTH: AR

When one takes a 5 hour trip to scout out and activate a rare grid on 6 meters
in May, one really takes his or her chances.  In this case, it was a complete
sporadic-E strikeout.

I began the Sprint in motion from EM44, which netted me one QSO.  It was my only
QSO from a grid other than EM43, so I barely qualified as a rover.

I then set up at Pendleton Bend on the Arkansas River (EM43ix) and operated for
approximately two hours.  I heard a handful of Es-distance stations from EM43,
but conditions weren't good enough for them to hear me.  I did work a number of
stations direct, including a surprising number from my home grid of EM64.  There
were enough rocks to permit lots of contacts on MSK144, but everyone was glued
to FT8.  I made and completed one sked on MSK144.

My operating location proved to be a good one, so I will likely return for some
portion of the June VHF Contest.  Hopefully then there will be some
propagation!

Rig:  ICOM IC-7100 (100W)
Ant:  1/4-wave whip (in motion), MFJ 3-element Yagi (stopped)