[3830] CWopsT K9ZO Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Nov 3 08:56:44 EDT 2022

                    CWops Test (CWT) - 1300Z Nov 2

Call: K9ZO
Operator(s): K9ZO
Station: K9ZO

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: IL

Total:  155  Mults = 147  Total Score = 22,785

Club: Metro DX Club

Comments:

Over the weekend the tower guy who was working on the local repeater antennas
came by and took down my SteppIR 18e.  Quite a talker, and had no real
experience with the safe way to tram down an antenna.  Disappointed and felt
ripped off.  Left his rope on the tower and had to come back the next day and
charged me more to take down a bracket which he left on the tower. Enough said.
The wire antennas are tangled, but got on anyway.  Working on the SteppIR to
replace the sweeps. Again, SteppIR did not fail to disappoint me. They sent lots
of parts that were not needed as part of their kit - hardware, solid fiberglass
rods, plastic blocks.  Rebuilt EHUs, heat shrink tubing. All I needed was proper
instructions and the new diverters.

I fixed the hardline connector for the 80 meter 4 square, but all the switching
is torn up right now.

On Friday I had a quick visit from WT9P who was on his way to CQWWSSB.  It was
my wife's 70th birthday on Saturday, so only a few QSOs for me.  CJ also brought
me his old Stream Deck to help automate the station.  So cool.  AC9S came by in
the afternoon and helped me check out the antenna on the ground.  It makes a lot
of tape noise on 40, but generally works.  40 seems short, which is what I
observed.  I have started painting to protect the fiberglass tubes, and replace
the sweeps, and eventually the EHUs.

Ran low power since the antenna SWR is high. Lots of non productive CQs. Started
on 80 for 10 minutes, but not much activity. Lots of spots on 40, so that was a
good sign, but at 1344Z the activity moved to 20 and I had no antenna.  S&P
a bit and that was very slow.