[3830] SS CW AJ1AJ SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 7 07:53:45 EST 2022

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW - 2022

Call: AJ1AJ
Operator(s): AJ1AJ
Station: AJ1AJ

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: NH
Operating Time (hrs): 10:22

That was fun.

Despite the fact that I wasn't taking this one too seriously, I still lost an
antenna overnight - I'm not sure that's how it's supposed to work - and power on
Sunday as well.  I truly enjoyed all of my time operating this weekend, though
probably because I stopped where I did.  It's very interesting how just the
sweepstakes rule can change so much in a contest, and the extended exchange is
fun.

My first couple hours on Saturday were limited to S&P for some phone calls
but I finally jumped fully in for a few hours and then stopped before midnight.
Sunday morning I took care of some things, partially fixed the antenna, and
jumped back in around 9.  The goal was to beat my 500 from last year, and I
technically achieved that, by operating for a few stretches in the morning and
early afternoon (limited to 20m and 15m due to overnight antenna issue) and QRT
~2pm.

15m was there for most of Sunday at least, with the MUF technically > 30mhz
even mid-morning, with some activity there but nothing amazing.  I guess the
sweepstakes rule removes the usual incentive for band diversity, plus high band
stuff isn't naturally the best fit for a domestic contest, but it will be
interesting to see how this contest season moves us through the cycle.  This
being my first solar cycle and only active since mid-2019 I've been a high band
skeptic but I have a 10m dipole on my workbench right now.