[3830] SS CW KK4R Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 7 21:04:43 EST 2022

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW - 2022

Call: KK4R
Operator(s): KK4R
Station: KK4R

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: va
Operating Time (hrs):

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I always look forward to SS CW.  This year, I wanted to make 500
Q's and try for a clean sweep, of course.  The morning and early
afternoon was spent frantically raking leaves and doing other
honey-dos.  My son and his new wife are in town, so there would
be  inevitable conflicts to be dealt with.  In spite of all that,
the biggest problem at the start was that I had not made any
effort to practice or warm up in the weeks before the contest.  I
wisely started with S&P for a while to get my act together.  This
year a 500W amp was added to the station in the hope that
running would be more successful.  That wasn't enough on the high
bands, and rate wasn't good enough, but during the evening I had
runs on 40 and 80.  Interruptions were frequent.  My
daughter-in-law was out shopping for a car and wanted advice and
later, to show off the new car.  There was a family Zoom about my
brother-in-law's chemo, and more.  By about midnight, it looked
like the goals were out of reach.  However, I started again on
Sunday, operating between interruptions but without worrying about
score or anything other than fun.  It was slow going during the
day, but to my surprise, it really picked up in the evening.
Somewhere along the line, I had picked up all but ONN and LAX!
That's pretty good for unassisted, and it was clear my QSO total
would at least top 400.  Dinner guests arrived, and operations
ended without the two sections, but that relative success has me
thinking about next year.  I'm going to get some practice in ahead
of the contest!