[3830] CWopsT K9ZO Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Nov 16 10:48:25 EST 2022

                    CWops Test (CWT) - 1300Z Nov 16

Call: K9ZO
Operator(s): K9ZO
Station: K9ZO

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: il
Operating Time (hrs): 10 min

Total:  18  Mults = 18  Total Score = 324

Club: Metro DX Club

Comments:

I've been working on the SteppIR.  All that remains is to tighten the 72 screws,
do a bit of spray painting to protect the fiberglass, and test to see if the
tapes go out further on 40 meters. I have used up all the parts!  But it is
damp, freezing, and there are snow flurries.  The shack is warm.  I was finally
able to light the boiler for the in-floor heating.  I have plenty to do inside.

I worked T33T on 160 meters 17 minutes after sunrise, so was late starting CWT.
80 meters was sparse. Michigan was strong, the east coast very weak, and nothing
out west.  18 QSOs the first 10 minutes, then went to 40.  Since the tower guy
was here the inverted vees for 40 /80 are intermittent with high SWR.  I can't
see well enough to tell what is going on, but can lower them to see if they are
tangled.  Lots of activity on 40 and good signals, but I quit due to the SWR. I
will have to press the backup 30/40 vertical into service, but it is not
competitive. SS will have to be part time.  It is frustrating since I was the
division leader last year and #9 USA.

I am rapidly approaching the stage where things break and I can't fix them.  The
grandkids are not old enough to help and I won't let them climb for at least a
decade if I am still around.

There is plenty of work to do inside so I am happy.