[3830] SS SSB N3DPB Multi-Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Nov 20 22:15:14 EST 2022

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB - 2022

Call: N3DPB
Operator(s): N3DPB KB3VQC N9SG K3MTR WA3EKL
Station: N3DPB

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: SEVERN, MD
Operating Time (hrs): 22:15

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Wow what a contest.  This is WA3EKL reporting from our station WA3EKL/N3DPB.  I
must give credit to marvelous job done by KB3VQC, N9SG and K3MTR who made the
volume of the contacts.  My XYL N3DPB did an excellent job of cooking and we had
some family pet issues we had to take care of this weekend.  I got a late start
due to the Cable Repair man showing up at the beginning of the contest and
attempting to troubleshoot an intermittent problem for an hour that refused to
show itself.   Plus in a previous contest 2/3 of the way through one of my
Astron Switching Power Supplies decided to crowbar its output voltage to zero
due to stray RF on its terminals.  We could not find what was causing the
problem during the contest and could not reproduce the problem after the
contest.

As I was tuning up the 10 meter amp it became apparent it was 10 Meters causing
the issue even though the power supply distributes minimal voltage and current
to switching circuits.  After another 45 minutes of trouble shooting, a 500
volt, .02 mfd disc capacitor directly across the output terminals of the power
supply eliminated the issue.

I started the contest about 2 hours late just working mults then turned it over
to KB3VQC who ran it into the late night.  Everything worked fine when we
stopped about 7:30 UTC to get some rest we only had about 8 mults left.  We
started again CQing until we ran out of Q’s, then S&P then back to CQing
again.  Most of the remaining mults came to us except EWA and AK.  N9SG acquired
AK on 10 Meters late Sunday afternoon for a clean sweep.  K3MTR came late
afternoon and ran up our Q total even total more.

The food was excellent and all tired operators had a great time.   Tnx to all
who came back to us.

73 from our crew, N3DPB, KB3VQC, N9SG, K3MTR, WA3EKL