[3830] SS SSB WX3B SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 21 10:40:31 EST 2022

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB - 2022

Call: WX3B
Operator(s): WX3B
Station: WX3B

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: MDC

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Enjoyed my second business trip since the early 2020 and spent the bulk of the
week at the Gaylord at National Harbor near Washington DC.  Planned to sit out
Sweepstakes SSB entirely then a small window opened up for me to 1) Double-check
the winterization status of the camper, 2) Make sure all the fans in my basement
were turned back off (Go ahead, ask me about replacing my lower burner element
in my 19 year old water heater), and 3) see about the status of my North West
beverage and 4) see how many Sweepstakes QSOs I could make with any leftover
time.

Got on 40m at 5:30 sharp and was surprised by how quiet 40 meter was, it was
open all over the place...short...long...north...south, etc.  My rate was never
high, so I listened to WR3R, KD4D and a few others trying to run stations in the
general portion of the band and concluded that this was just the way 40 was,
perhaps most of the "fast action" was still on 20, a band I decided to
skip.

Went to 80 for fun and was way too early - however a few folks took pity on me
and worked me.  Made my last QSO with a good and long-time radio friend Ralph
K9ZO.  After a good 5 minute rag chew, I called it a night, went home, and spent
the weekend at home.

I will be playing in the CQWW DX CW contest this upcoming weekend.

My best wishes to everyone for a delightful Thanksgiving and Christmas/Holiday
season!!  I have much to be thankful for this year, even more than usual!!

Sincerely,
Jim Nitzberg   WX3B