[3830] SS SSB VY1CO Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 21 22:30:20 EST 2022

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB - 2022

Call: VY1CO
Operator(s): VY1CO
Station: VY1CO

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: YT

Well that was easy---sort of. If I had really thought I really had any chance of
coming near a sweep (83/84)  I would have spent more time concentrating at what
I was doing as opposed to doing 4 or 5 runs of 100 plus contacts before getting
tired or called away. I certainly would not have puttered around working on a
DDS VFO project for one of my old Ten_Tecs. As I mentioned to some of the folks
I worked Sat eve and Sunday afternoon, I had a radio on its side with parts of
it hanging out joined with jumper wires...but still kind of working the contest.
I found, after a while, the TS590sg sounded harsh to my ears as opposed to the
tentec warm audio so decided to both build/experiment and play in the SS.

This was really my first 'real' attempt of representing the Yukon in a more
meaningful way. I also encouraged some of our local hams to do the same. I am
hopeful that once my new cabin is finished further below our house on the
property, it will become a destination station  for both local, and those out of
town operators wanting to operate under the Northern lights,  a reality. I won't
get into my thoughts on remote operations and how they are an affront to local
hams in some of the more austere parts of the world, but I do understand how
they come to be. I digress.

Did I mention I had fun? Thanks to Bud VA7ST, my best friend all the way back to
high school who was up here a couple weeks ago for SS CW, I am somewhat capable
of running N1MM--albeit somewhat slower. Everyone was friendly and I really
sensed a strong sense of familiarity and kinship amongst the stations--even the
big guns. It is a contest, but its a contest with yourself to some extent to see
what you can do. To me, highlights were being told I was the final section for a
sweep or simply an expression of appreciation for being on which was nice to
hear. Many of us up here will never be big at contesting, but we do take great
satisfaction in being part of the action. That includes all that goes with
living north of 60 including taking breaks from the radio to stoke the wood
stove and clear the driveway of snow so the YL can get home.

Conditions were quite good--even by Northern standards--and the dreadful Aurora
kept its distance. 15m played well most of the time and seemed to have more
elbow room. The pile ups were deafening at times but exciting as well. Sorry to
those I missed. I tried to shout out to the QRP community from time to time as
well as my Canadian friends. If only I could have worked NL...next year.