[3830] SS SSB K1RA(@K1HTV) Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Nov 22 00:35:26 EST 2022

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB - 2022

Call: K1RA
Operator(s): K1RA
Station: K1HTV

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: VA

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Thanks to my dad (Rich K1HTV) for hosting me this 2022 ARRL SS SSB.  Over the
past few years we've been building out a new Rohn 55 rotating tower system at
his VA QTH to hold his HF monobanders that have been sitting in storage since
him leaving MD in '08.  My last serious ARRL SS SSB entry was 26 yrs ago in '96
from his old QTH with roughly the same antennas, though a K3 rig now and a
TS-850SAT then.  It was good to work some old familiar calls from back then.  I
dug up an old '96 QST SS results article and saw many other calls from back then
that made it into the log this year too.  In '96 I placed 15th (174K) overall,
no 3830scores back then. I'm hoping to do a bit better this time around :)
though I already noted a big difference between SOLP high scores from now vs.
back then.

I had antenna issues on 40m until midnight the first day, which had me mainly
S&P on that band and probably hurt me the most with respect to QSOs.
Overall the station worked well and I was happy with conditions as no
geomagnetic storm arose as was earlier predicted. VO1KVT (NL) was the last mult
in my log for a sweep, with SDG being the only other one I struggled finding,
both Sunday evening. MAR, ONN, SF and SB were the other last few that trickled
in late Sunday afternoon.

Great to see an influx of new CKs from 2019-22 and I was happy to be a #1 for a
few who called in just to give a point while I stepped them through the complex
exchange.  Take a guess which CKs were the most popular?  See a histogram of the
CKs I worked in this SS in the pix album below along with a few pix of the
station and a flashback to '96 high scores. Copy & paste URL:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uPaZMDG5MzbaMwWU8

73

andyz - K1RA