[3830] SS SSB K0HC(W0BH) School Club HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Nov 23 22:00:12 EST 2022

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB - 2022

Call: K0HC
Operator(s): W0BH
Station: K0HC

Class: School Club HP
QTH: KS
Operating Time (hrs): 23.8
OpMode: SO2R

Club: Hesston College ARC

Comments:

After the pandemic years with no student operators, it was great to bring back
some students again this year! Our 2022 Hesston College ARC Sweepstakes team
included two  aviation students and one air traffic control student, all
unlicensed. Sophia, Ziwe and Sam covered Saturday afternoon and early evening.
All helped out Sunday afternoon and Sophia stayed on the radio all evening until
close.

We had a shortened practice period this year with three one-hour practice
sessions in the weeks before the event. Of course on-job-training is the best
practice! I worked the first hour with the students listening, then turned the
mic over to Sophia. We had a practice logging computer set up, so Ziwe and Sam
took turns practicing their logging. After awhile, Ziwe took over from me as
logger and the students were off!

Our Sweep came relatively easily. We were missing NL and PE at the sleep break
but knew they were out there. We caught NL and PE during our second hour on
Sunday as VY2LI gave us a call. That was certainly a highlight for us, and
here's what Bill wrote in his 3830 post.

"The highlight of the contest was hearing a Kansas school entry tell me
that my PE section gave them their Sweep on Sunday morning. Happy Thanksgiving!
73, Bill".

Thanks, Bill. You'll be getting a thank you QSL card from all of us!

Our students always enjoy working the other School stations. I had my Computer
Programming class write a short program to read our log file and find which
schools we worked. This year we worked 10 (in order) : W1KBN K3CR W9JWC W2UB
W3EAX W8SH W4UAL W8EDU W0YC W0EEE.

We worked only 4 dupes this year as we took the time to figure out why the dupe
stations were calling us. In all cases but two, they found we were already in
their log, often with an oh instead of a zero in our K0HC call. Not sure how
much that slowed us down, but it was fun chatting with them as we figured things
out. At the end, Sophia worked several dupes just for fun since it was so slow.
And Sam borrowed my Tune In the World license manual to start studying for his
license over Thanksgiving break!

Thanks to all for the Qs! We hope to work you all again in 2023. Our log has
been uploaded to LOTW.

73, Bob, w0bh
trustee, k0hc
Hesston College ARC