[3830] SS SSB K3KU Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Nov 23 22:45:17 EST 2022

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB - 2022

Call: K3KU
Operator(s): K3KU
Station: K3KU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MD

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

"You're kinda weak, but we'll give it a try."  How many times did I
hear that, trying to work western QSOs?  It proves what I wrote last year,
"I knew that 100W on SSB was going to be tougher than on CW, and I knew
that the supposed-to-be-useful high bands would be tougher with an 'all band'
dipole."

QRV 2330Z Saturday evening.  Three QSOs on 20M, including PR and BC.  Then down
to 40M for 17 QSOs (MB and PE, but they were easy enough this year).  CQing was
unproductive.  So, ...

Down to 80M, with big expectations, based on last year's run of over 100 QSOs at
84/hr.  Well, but for last year's amazing experience, I might have thought that
this year's 89 QSOs at 53/hr was great.  The volume just wasn't there for me,
and no surprising mult's.

I ended that first run when the slowing rate coincided with the need for a short
"house tour" (ya' gotta stop for a few minutes, but not long enough to
take a time out).  After that, it was a typical SOLP SSB slog: flip from band to
band; try S&P; try CQ; push.  A couple of times during the night my rate got
so slow that I took 30 minutes off.

With no reasonable goal for QSO total, and little hope for a Sweep, I invoked
K3KU's maxim: Tune for maximum fun.  If I felt like CQing, I called CQ (even on
the high bands).  If I felt like hunting for mult's, I hunted for mult's (why
else did I spend so much time on 10M?).

Sunday afternoon I decided to drop down to 40M and try running.  Oh ****! there
is a loud buzz wiping out 40M. And 80M.  And audible on 20M.  So, all Sunday
afternoon I was forced to scrounge on the high bands.  The buzz was still there
when the high bands closed, and around 23Z I took a couple of hours off.  I got
back on about 0115Z; 13 QSOs in 40 minutes, but it was no fun.  QRT, with an
hour to go.

The Story of the Sections -- the good, the bad, and the ultra-cool:

Heard LAX on 40M about 03Z Saturday evening.  Based on their rarity in SS CW, I
took much time and effort to break the pileup. Then I worked four more. (Where
were you guys on CW?)

Heard the loud WH7 on 40M about 07:30Z.  One call, and PAC is in the bag.
"Amazing," I said before I sent him my report, and it was.  I heard
only one other PAC, and could not work him.  I did hear the KH7 who is really in
AZ, and I had enough experience not to get excited.

Speaking of out-of-state prefixes, I heard a loud AL1 on 15M about 1830Z.  I
called, and got all excited when he came right back... from WWA!  Drat! I
commented that I had hoped he was in Alaska.  He replied that he had hoped I was
in Delaware.  :>)  (I did get three real AK's, none of whom was KL7SB.)

CQing on 20M Sunday morning brought an unfamiliar VE3... in ONN! TU OM! My only
real mult from running.  (I did get ONN regular VE3CX later on, but it was great
not to have to be concerned.)

I'm used to working a few SD's in SS CW and usually two ND's.  By Sunday
afternoon I had none.  I found a (the?) ND CQer Sunday about 1730Z on 15M; big
pileup.  It took many tries and several come-back-laters, but I got thru at
18Z.

After working the ND I excursed around the bands (picking up  about 19Z I popped
up to 15M; the first station I found was K7BG.  One call, he gives me NR 68, and
SD is in the bag.  Phew.

Never heard NM nor (I think) EB; I must have been doing something wrong. Indeed,
I never even heard anybody work one.

I heard some other CQer sending a report to a VE2; never heard QC myself.

I think I heard an SB or two, but never with a chance to work them.

I found a nice loud SDG on 15M late Sunday afternoon.  Hey!  That's a doable
path.  Alas, I spent a lot of time (and a few come-back-laters) with no success.
 HOWEVER, ...

As I tuned away from the SDG, I found VY1CO, not so loud and only a small
pileup.  A couple of tries, and I GOT HIM!  (I always get excited about working
Canadians, especially multipliers.  I did also get VY1AAA later on.)