[3830] SS SSB W4AAA(KK9A) SO Unlimited LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Fri Nov 25 00:00:22 EST 2022

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB - 2022

Call: W4AAA
Operator(s): KK9A
Station: W4AAA

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: North Carolina
Operating Time (hrs): 24
OpMode: SO2R

The ARRL November Sweepstakes contest has been a very popular event for decades.
Small stations can make a lot of contacts and be competitive with big stations
plus the challenge of working all sections for the Sweep is appealing. 20m was
my best band this year, I did not have not fast rates but the band was open to
many areas for a number of hours. I had hoped for more QSOs on 40m with my two
new 4el beams but it was tough to maintain a running frequency on that crowded
band running LP. 80m was in good shape and not too crowded late at night. My
station seemed to be working perfectly until late Sunday morning when I
discovered a power line type noise that was mostly affecting 15m and 10m. At
this point I had worked all sections except for Delaware and Santa Barbara. I
saw a SB station spotted on 15m but unfortunately I could not hear him over my
local noise. I found two DE stations on 20m and 15m but I was unable to break
through either pileup. So, I took 50 minutes off to freshen up, have lunch and
regroup. At this point I had 5 1/2 hours left to operate and I still need these
two sections. Miraculously when I returned to the shack after lunch the noise
problem was gone. Of course the SB station was no longer on 15m so I started
running on 20m and after seven contacts I saw a spot for a Delaware station on
40m. I set of my radios to that frequency and easily worked him. With four hours
of op time left I noticed that the Santa Barbara station had reappeared on 15m
and this time I was able to hear and work him for the Sweep. That was exciting!
Thanks for the QSOs, please QSL via WD9DZV.

73,
John KK9A
http://www.w4aaa.com