[3830] CQWW CW VP5M(K4QPL) SOAB Classic LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Nov 27 20:49:26 EST 2022

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2022

Call: VP5M
Operator(s): K4QPL
Station: VP5/K4QPL

Class: SOAB LP
Class Overlay: Classic
QTH: Turks & Caicos

  160:    1     1        1
   80:  171    10       41
   40:  625    14       44
   20: 1293    24       61
   15:  816    18       54
   10:  534    17       57

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

What a fun contest! The high bands performed like the olden days with 10M open
to to everywhere for hours on end. Thanksgiving is a family week at Harbour Rock
so we can't do a team effort like the other contests (unless Thanksgiving comes
on a different week once every few years). So I do the classic SOLP. 24 hours is
just the right amount of BIC for me. I knew the 80M was down from the last storm
but didn't know the hoist rope at the tower had broken requiring bringing the
AB-577 down to a reachable level to thread the pulley. Couldn't do it on Friday
when we arrived so had to take a break during the contest Saturday afternoon.
The 160M always has to be erected but the jungle was reclaiming the area around
the base and the FCP and there was a lot of the endemic poisonous weed that is
painful if touched and dangerous if the juice gets in your eyes, so that job was
left for the moment. Hence one 160m QSO force loading the 80m on 160 which made
even the cross islands qso with VP5Y hard to do.
The score has not been reduced for the extra 24 minutes I went over the 24 hour
so I guess the log people will reduce the Classic portion of my score.
At one point every QSO was a dupe which was getting boring and a waste of time.
I guessed that there was a bad spot and people were calling without listenting.
Eventually I figured out the best thing was to QSY so I wouldn't be under that
spot. Problem solved. Amazed at what appears to be the normal procedure for
Assisted must be "Call first, listen later and only if required (and Morse
capable)." I ID at least every third QSO so they can't blame me!
Otherwise, thanks for the Q's and the fun weekend!
73,
Jim, K4QPL, VP5M