[3830] CQWW CW K5GO SO(A)AB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Nov 27 21:54:57 EST 2022

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2022

Call: K5GO
Operator(s): K5GO
Station: K5GO

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: Arkansas
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:    0     0        0
   80:    0     0        0
   40:  125    32      107
   20:  115    34      109
   15:  174    31      118
   10:  144    29       93
------------------------------
Total:  558   126      427  Total Score = 848,855

I was in a bad mood wishing I was ZF9CW this week instead of K5GO.  Although I
have antennas at home, the line noise level is high and I rarely get on the
radio except when I am on Cayman Brac. I took a quick look at my radio station
and didn’t have the radio connected to the computer, didn’t have a DIN/RCA
cable to key the amplifier, and only had a paddle plugged into the radio.
Anyway, I could still do as planned and listen to N5DX and work ZF2SS, operating
from my place, on 4 bands.

Was working on something in the garage and accidentally found a DIN/RCA cable
for my TS-590SG in the tool box where the drill bit I was looking for should
have been. Then I began searching and found a Winkeyer a coax to go from the
radio to the amplifier and a printer cable for the radio to the computer.  I
updated N1MM and made everything work.  The bad mood went away and I knew I
could at least click on spots I could hear and do something.  This is the BIG
ONE and I didn’t want to only watch.

My initial goal was to work 100 countries on the bands where I had antennas.  A
round of golf in really cold weather messed that up on Sunday morning so I
missed my 100 on 10m.

I was particularly amazed at how well my coil-loaded, rotatable dipole worked on
40m.  I broke some decent pileups to far away places.  One of the highlights was
working VR2 long path on 10m early Sunday morning.  He was very strong and I was
expecting to hear a bunch of juicy SE Asia multipliers but he is the only one
spotted and a few CQ’s didn’t raise anyone. The most important highlight was
watching Kevin’s (N5DX) performance. There are no words to describe how proud
I am of his accomplishment.

73…. Stan, ZF9CW err K5GO