[3830] CQWW CW VP5Y M/2 LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 28 09:26:09 EST 2022

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2022

Call: VP5Y
Operator(s): VA3DF VE3RZ
Station: VP5Y

Class: M/2 LP
QTH: VP5

  160:  230     9       27
   80:  705    16       68
   40: 1522    29       92
   20: 1153    28       78
   15: 1791    28       90
   10:  880    23       70

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

"Sticks By The Sea" - an appropriate moniker for our CQWW cw trip to
Grand Turk (NA 003). The trip had been postponed from last year because of the
Covid situation but the plan finally came together this year. Travelling to
Grand Turk requires a flight to Providenciales and then an additional short
flight to our final destination.

The flight to Provo was uneventful and relatively painless as we used the new
system at YYV that allows you to reserve a time to be processed through security
- a real time saver. The short flight to Grand Turk was an experience. Carry on
was limited to 10 pounds but you can get around that with politeness and a bit
of begging! The plane was a Twin Otter and Tony swears he saw the pilots high
fiving each other after we got lift off!

Arrived on Tuesday AM and set about erecting two 40 foot masts (all bands but
20) and the CrankIR for 20. The antennas were close to the ocean and performed
admirably in spite of the fact our 80 and 160 antennas looked more like a low
clothesline!

Murphy arrived at the last possible moment when a coax connecter failed just 35
minutes before the contest started. We handled that and were off to the races!

We chose M/2 since we both wanted to operate all bands rather than do SOSB. We
knew we would not be competitive in this category but figured we would just have
fun - we did! I worked all night on Friday and had a small snooze on Saturday
evening. We actually managed to keep at least one radio going almost all the
time.

Massive pileups on 40 and 15 and pleased to see 10 in decent shape!

Executive summary: Sticks by the sea rock and we had a great experience!

As usual, it's sunny and a beautiful blue ocean out there...

73,

Doug
VA3DF