[3830] CQWW CW PJ2T M/M HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 28 10:13:43 EST 2022

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2022

Call: PJ2T
Operator(s): W0CG K5PI VE3CX KY7M K9DR W9NJY VE3JM VE3EY N7IR NA2U
Station: PJ2T

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Curacao

  160:   589    18       67
   80:  1493    30       97
   40:  3309    33      121
   20:  3193    38      127
   15:  3578    37      127
   10:  2284    33      111
-------------------------------

Club: CCC

Comments:

As we were pounding out QSOs at super rates Saturday afternoon it occurred to me
what a big pile of resources are consumed for each contest operation from PJ2T.
We had 13 people on site this weekend. When one totes up the airfares, rental
cars, groceries (and of course beer), lodging, restaurants, and direct station
costs such as electricity consumption, I came up with a rough number of about
USD 23,000. That’s for this one contest. So your easy Curacao mults happen
because of the willingness of top operators to spend the money to travel --
their commitment makes all those QSOs a reality. To that end, I thank our superb
team this week for making the trip and putting this place on the air for the
contesting deserving: Tom (VE3CX), Robert (K5PI), Lee (KY7M), Dan (K9DR), Andy
(W9NJY), Vlad (VE3JM), Nick (VE3EY), Gary (N7IR), and Fred (NA2U). And I pitch
in effort also: I’m Geoff, W0CG, organizer and chief janitor at PJ2T. One
always hears about the high costs of DXpeditions, but we seldom, myself
included, are conscious of the cost of big contest operations on the DX side.
Thanks again to our ops and to the members of our CCC club for making it
possible to hand out thousands of PJ2 contest contacts.

>From our perspective conditions were down from the SSB weekend. 10 meters was a
particular disappointment on Sunday. Curacao’s meteo weather conditions were a
problem too. This year global warming has translated to global raining in
Curacao. This has been the wettest rain season I’ve seen here, with day after
day of deluges, minimal wind, high humidity, and swarming mosquitoes on our
desert island. All of that complicates the task of getting the equipment and
antennas in top shape and keeping everything running. But we were lucky in that
the storms had next to no lightning, and the electricity stayed on all weekend
in spite of the rain.

We were fortunate to have a crew of absolutely top operators here this weekend.
Several of our mainstay members returned after the COVID interruption of three
years, including W9NJY, NA2U, K9DR, and NCJ Editor KY7M. Gary (N7IR) made a
return after having been here earlier this year for ARRL CW, and perennial VE3CX
was again on site with his big smile and his tremendous skills. We also welcomed
guests Vlad (VE3JM) and Nick (VE3EY) and their respective XYLs. Both of these
guys are tremendous contest operators, and we are grateful for their
participation. And at the last minute we were very lucky to recruit top operator
Robert, K5PI who signed up after we had a cancellation. Robert was recruited by
our member W5MJ, and we thank Madison for that referral. These guys killed it on
the bands with top contesting skills, and they even washed dishes! Thanks to
K5PI for expert help with the software, and to VE3JM and VE3EY for braving the
heat and cacti to help me in the wilderness of the Ridge with antenna work. N7IR
calmly found and fixed every K3-related problem, and the weekend went quite
smoothly.

My thanks to my partner Dorothy who put together a magnificent fully-equipped
U.S. Thanksgiving dinner for 13 people, a task vastly complicated by the week
long failure of the refrigerator at the rental house, where we do all meals. She
shuttled stuff back and forth constantly between PJ2T, where the fridge worked,
and the rental, where it didn’t. It’s always tough being away from families
on the Thanksgiving weekend, but Dorothy’s holiday dinner made for great fun
with our November 2022 contesting family here on the island.

Thanks to our friends around the globe for calling in, special congratulations
to the top scoring stations in Zone 33, and what fun to be back at it after
COVID upset our sport for so long a time. See you in ARRL 160 and 10, CQ 160 CW,
and we will put up a big team for ARRL DX CW.

    73,

-	Geoff, W0CG, PJ2DX for the entire CCC club group