[3830] CQWW CW K1ZZ SO(A)AB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 28 10:40:33 EST 2022

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2022

Call: K1ZZ
Operator(s): K1ZZ
Station: K1ZZ

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: W1 (CT)
Operating Time (hrs): 39
OpMode: SO2R

  160:   68    15       50
   80:  344    23       89
   40: 1143    34      119
   20:  966    35      123
   15:  822    31      123
   10:  488    28      116

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

In the weeks leading up to CQWW CW I got the station into good shape. Fixing two
unrelated problems with the 20-meter antenna rotator involved a few trips up the
tower. Restringing a 160-meter inverted L and repairing the beverage required
spending the better part of three days in the woods. These are facets of the
hobby that I enjoy almost as much as operating as long as the weather
cooperates, which it did. Everything was ready when Linda and I drove to DC a
week before the contest to spend Thanksgiving with family.

My plan for returning to Connecticut was to get up early on Friday morning and
fly to New Haven from BWI on Avelo Airlines. We had left my car in New Haven on
our way to DC, and I expected to have several hours to rest at home before the
contest started at 7 PM local time. Unfortunately, a series of delays added
several hours spent sitting on the plane, back in the BWI terminal, and once
again back on the plane prior to what should have been a 47-minute flight but
turned out to be twice as long; we had to circle in a holding pattern to burn
fuel because the plane was too heavy to land on the short runway at Tweed
Airport. Apparently the airline didn't realize this before they put us on the
plane the first time. I was still in New Haven when the contest started.

I finally was able to get on the air more than two hours late. Having missed my
usual start by running on 40 meters I wasn’t able to get into my usual groove.
I decided to take a couple more hours off, get some of the rest that I’d
missed, and start fresh just before sunrise.

The rest of the weekend went reasonably well. There was no way to make up for
the lost time but it was fun to watch the scoreboard as I gradually caught up to
most of the guys in the SOAB HP Assisted category (except of course Randy, K5ZD)
who were ahead of me for most of the first day.

Avelo Airlines will not be figuring in my future travel plans.