[3830] CQWW CW N8II SOSB15 Classic LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 28 17:09:37 EST 2022

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2022

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SOSB15 LP
Class Overlay: Classic
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): 22:15

   80:   19     7       16
   40:
   20:   25    12       16
   15:  908    29      109

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

The solar flux took a dip, 10M did not seem very promising with late openings to
western EU only the 2 days before the WW, so I dipped down one band to try and
make for a busier single band. 15M conditions to EU were outstanding both days
with many booming signals even from Scandinavia and the Baltic Republics. The
one exception was Russia with no zone 17-19 QSO's (nothing heard) and weak R4
call area signals on Saturday, none Sunday. Ukraine and R6 area stations were
loud along with a very few R3's. I missed the earliest part of the EU opening
both days getting to the shack about 1240Z missing maybe 50 QSO's I couldn't
catch later. I was able to run stations around 21003 KHz for a long stretch
Saturday mostly free of QRM which made running a pleasure except for callers
exactly zero beating me and each other. Also my line noise mostly was no
significant factor most of the time except a brief burst Saturday after lunch.
The bad news is the daylight window into EU is brief in late November, so my
rate started suffering around 1545Z and by 17Z most EU stations had faded or
left for 20M. Saturday my rates were 141 at 13Z, 111 at 14Z, and 85 at 15Z. Best
Sunday hour was 86 at 13Z. There was plenty of time to S&P mults after 17Z
Saturday and 15Z Sunday, not many run Q's past then (most ops on 10M?), but a
decent number of EU ops still on the band.

The biggest mult disappointments were no Arabian Peninsula QSO's (did work 4L
and 4K in zone 21) and not being able to get through to 9M6NA and 7A2A
(Indonesia) around 22Z. Most of the other mults I couldn't work Saturday, were
logged Sunday such as PJ7, TY as ZD7. My best pile up bust was 3B9KW on Sunday
who worked an op up about 100 Hz and I followed suit. It is disappointing to
only work one zone 35 +
36 and two zone 38's (V5 and ZS) with nothing heard from 34 or 37. The JA
opening Saturday evening was good for maybe 30 minutes starting about 55 minutes
past my sunset, before then signals were weak. Trying to run JA's was good for
only 1 or 2 Q's. The Sunday evening JA opening was nearly a nil, only the JA's
worked Saturday were better than S3. SA activity was lower than expected with
first CX QSO late Sunday afternoon. Starting around 17Z Sunday, it was a chore
to keep going, but a few Q's (best hour 13 Q's) and mults were added.

Many thanks for the Q's and calls and spots (they really help!). By next year
10M will be up and the low bands will be down. The SFI around 110 is good for an
all band effort. Congrats to Lar, K7SV for an outstanding LP SOAB effort.

73, Jeff