[3830] CQWW CW W1DYJ SO(A)AB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 28 20:40:14 EST 2022

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2022

Call: W1DYJ
Operator(s): W1DYJ
Station: W1DYJ

Class: SO(A)AB LP
QTH: EMA

  160:    7     2        2
   80:   76    12       42
   40:  187    17       62
   20:  146    19       66
   15:   69    20       50
   10:   95    16       50

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

My 9th attempt at this contest, I find myself slowly getting better
at CW.  I still cannot run -- mostly due to non-existent typing ability.
But I can verify calls once pulled into my logger up to about 40 WPM.

So I set some goals for myself as I always do:
    * A personal best -- requiring 350K points and 450 Qs
    * My usual goal of AK on 80 -- one of these day I will complete 5BWAS!
    * And a stretch goal of 20 hours / 500 Qs / 500K points

Friday night seemed a bit slow: 40m was the place to be.  (The 40m
portion of my HB fan dipole is probably the most credible.)  With
breaks for a (streaming) jazz concert and the 11pm news I gave up
at 12:48pm local with a **blistering** 25K points.

Determined to finally bag the elusive AK/80m 250th state for 5BWAS,
(which really would be 7BWAS) I was up at 3:45 local to search for
any signal from up north -- but no joy...   160 & 80 were very quiet,
40 was again the only band with anything useful.  One hour BIC and
back to bed.

Saturday morning -- at least the human portion of the morning after
breakfast -- was the time for 10m.   It was great to see 10 again,
and I gathered 4 new band-countries.  15 was OK so I ignored 20.
By this time it was getting dark and 40 came alive.  I finally gave up
at 10:48 local to watch the 11pm news and go to bed.

Given the poor experience Saturday early-AM, I got up at ~6 AM Sunday
hoping to catch the 20m EU start.  Given that I more-or-less ignored 20
on Saturday, I was "fresh meat!"  At 7:43 AM I had my new
"personal
best.  I then started moving around the bands: 20>15>10>20, etc.  This
is when I was hearing the weird 15m stuff -- check below.

I finally beat my "stretch goal" at 1:29 pm local, after 16
"real" hours
of BIC.  With that under my belt, I switched to looking for mults, which
turned out to not be very worthwhile as I had most of the ones spotted,
and taking many breaks.  Finished at 6:34 local for dinner.

I felt good, but tired.

Some final observations:
--------------------------------
With my VERY sub-optimal 160 "antenna" I had no 6-banders.
     (All 160 Qs were US & Canada, and Zones 4 or 5.)
I did have six 5-banders: V26K, P44X, C6AGU, PJ4K, HQ9X, GM5X.

Sunday morning on 15m -- I heard an echo on ALL weak EU stations.
     This echo was a fraction of a second, ~100ms???   (Yes -- 80ms is
     the minimum a human can discern.)  As the transit time around
     the globe is ~ 150 ms, and my 15m antenna is a rotary dipole,
     was I hearing the RF on both SP and LP???  Interesting!

FINALLY -- thanks to my wife, Maren, for putting up with me...
----------------------------------
Rig: TS-590SG
Actual BIC = 18 hours  (Classic "60 minute" time = 26 hours)
98% "C&P"
Antennas:
   Upper HF - Roof Tower
          10:  HB 5el yagi @ 30ft
          15:  HB Rotatable Dipole @ 33ft
          20:  HB Moxon @ 36ft
   160/80/40  HB Fan dipole: trapped 80/40/30 [SE-NW] AND trapped
           160/75 [S-N, with North end turning a few times to
           fit in the yard] -- 35' at center, between 30' and 15' at
           the various ends (a small back yard!)
Logger: N3FJP Contest Log V 6.0.3

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ