[3830] CQWW CW W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Nov 29 17:12:17 EST 2022

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2022

Call: W6QU
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W8QZA

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: San Diego, CA

  160:    1     1        1
   80:    6     2        2
   40:   38     9       11
   20:   70    18       34
   15:  120    21       41
   10:   97    18       32

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Antennas:
  10-15-20 Meters: 3 el Stepp-IR up 32 feet
  40 Meters: 1/4 wave vertical with 3 radials
  40 & 160 Meters: DX-LB trap dipole up 30 feet
  80 Meters: Inverted L with 2 radials
Conditions are getting pretty good.  This is my highest score since 2015.  I
feel pretty good until I look at other scores near mine in this contest. Then I
see that they may have operated for only half the number of hours that I have.
Wow!!

I worked a record 8 BY stations in this contest. Usually they can't hear my 5
watts and I work none or maybe one and rarely two.  I heard an old pro say that
they are starting to build some good contest stations there!  I heard a number
of Russian stations on the air with good signals that would have added to my
zone count.

My DXCC count was 65 and Zone count was 27.  I had a number of memorable QSOs.
On Sunday afternoon I came across V55Y calling blank CQs high up the band on
15M. I got him in one call and could not help but to spot him even though I am
Not Assisted. (I never looked at the reports!)

I got VK6T on the long path on 20M late Sunday. ...and I worked N7NR on 160 for
a double mult and my only Q on 160. THANKS!!

This remains (arguably) the premier DX contest.  It was my first contest in 1956
when I was 16 years old. It is still thrilling despite all the distractions of
caring for grandsons and post Thanksgiving family get togethers.

Now I'm off until these DX contests start again in February!  See you then!

...Bill  W8QZA - W6QU