[3830] CQWW CW E7AA(E73AA) SO(A)SB20 LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Nov 30 04:09:12 EST 2022

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2022

Call: E7AA
Operator(s): E73AA
Station: E7AA

Class: SO(A)SB20 LP
QTH: ŽZH
Operating Time (hrs):

   20: 1270    28       94
Total: 1270    28       94  Total Score = 228,994

Club: ZRHB

Comments:

What can I say, my plan was to work on 40m, but a combination of
Murphyes brought me to 20m. My main antenna for 40m have some problems
during some time, so on thursday I set out to fix it and put another one in
addition to it. Prepared, arranged the existing one, but for some strange
reason it behaved strangely on 40m but on 20 it works fine, hm. New for 40m,
I was installed the wire but got the wrong 75ohm cable for box, still made
the box but of course it didn't work, tried the 4:1 balun which I have but
it didn't work either. Installed inverted V, works ok but no gain. A couple
of calls local ham friends, we find the material, arrange for friday morning
to pick-up and making of a new balun, I leave the wires in the air. The deal
get’s complicated, so the balun will be finished on Friday afternoon. On
Friday morning, I take off the inverted V, visit some locations for the
contest location, family obligations took care of some business obligations,
and at 8:00 PM go to pick up the balun from E77X, return home. I adjust the
choke with rg213 and climb again in the dark. There is already light dew on
the house, some ice, slippery at 10:00 PM fix everything, first test and it
works great on 40m. I get good RNB, few great DX QSOs. But I'm dead tired
“didn’t sleep”, WX predicting a wind storm on Saturday afternoon, as
usually for CQWW. A difficult decision, 40m day/night band, 48h marathon
would have killed me and there was a possibility that the storm would screw
me up, just like a couple of times before, I must have two options. I try it
new one and it resonates well on 20m, decide to try it on 20m, as long as it
work’s. And it wasn't bad, everything worked great until the first gusts
of wind on Saturday, one strong gusts and my new wire breaks. I switch to
reserve and it goes well, but I couldn't stand still. After that big gust of
wind, they are not big anymore, but they blow well. I go out, the wire just
broke, it's not the foot. Outside again, almost in the air, solder foot,
climb up, pull out the wire and connect, all under a strong wind. After an
hour I am back with two antennas. All is well, Until the end, I had no more
problems, except my girl’s who disturbed my concentration but also made me
happy for time to time. It didn't go any better, for 20m I still need to
have more options in all directions, a good number of QSOos, but I'm not
satisfied with the mult’s. See you at WPX, I hope I will work from my
contest location with full setup. Marin E73AA