[3830] CQ WW RTTY AB1J SOSB20 LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sat Oct 1 20:16:48 EDT 2022

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY - 2022

Call: AB1J
Operator(s): AB1J
Station: AB1J

Class: SOSB20 LP
QTH: Waltham MA
Operating Time (hrs): 6:52

   15:  75       17      25    15
   10:
-----------------------------------
Total:  75       17      25    15  Total Score = 8,208

I hope RTTY lingers on at least as a contest mode. CW holds on due to the
clusters, RBN and personal skimmers and code readers. Much the same holds true
for RTTY except you don't have to "learn" RTTY as you do with CW. But
effective RTTY contesting stations are more difficult to set up than CW, SSB or
FT modes. I'm referring to the software aspect. It took me a number of years and
there was steep learning curve at the beginning. Eventually I got it right, or
at least close.

RTTY's my favorite contest mode and 15m has been a favorite since my old-style
Novice days in 1958. I also want to match the effort to my physical abilities,
so a laid back, mostly daylight contest fits the bill. It turned out this time
that I wasn't able to spend a lot of time in the chair.

I followed my recent 15m practice of using my attic antenna for receiving and
the outside wire for transmitting. The noise is lower on the indoor antenna with
no loss of signal strength. This likely has to do with its orientation, end on
to the row of closely spaced houses along my street and all their noisy
electronic devices.

IMO, the next RTTY contest of consequence is the Makrothen on October 8-9. I'd
encourage all RTTY enthusiasts to join in. It's a modern distance scoring
contest and not some relic of the 20th century.

73,
Ken, AB1J

Flex 6500
N1MM Logger+  MMTTY(narrow) MMTTY(wide) 2Tone(Selective) GRITTY(CQWW)
RX: 15m attic dipole
TX: outdoor 66' stealth wire on 15m with a Dentron manual tuner and indoor
counterpoise
LoTW  eQSL  ClubLog