[3830] PaQP K3WJV SOMixed HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 9 20:46:11 EDT 2022

                    Pennsylvania QSO Party - 2022

Call: K3WJV
Operator(s): K3WJV
Station: K3WJV

Class: SOMixed HP
QTH: EPA
Operating Time (hrs): 18
OpMode: SO2R

  160:   37      1
   20:  206     84
   15:   56      1
   10:    9      2
--------------------

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Something told me I wasn't going to match or beat last year's 1530 Q's as last
year I made a ton of ssb Q's (more than cw totals).  I generally have a tough
time doing lots of phone.  I tried hard having the new K4 for this year.  The K4
replaced a good rig - the ft1000mp but mine was never wired up to use my mic.
This year both rigs had mics and dvk's so I had some automated msgs but still
wound up just using the CQ msg and ruining my voice early.  I scream in the mic
with headphones on and never got comfy with monitoring my audio in the phones.
Happens every contest.  CW is SO much easier to do.

This weekend I had a LOT of guys answer my CQ with beyond peanut whistle sigs so
I didn't have the same numbers this year on ssb.  I ditched some of the running
efforts.  Weak is one thing but the sigs I tried to get callsigns from were
beyond esp at times. That was mainly Sunday.  Me and OM2VL had an esp Q on 10ssb
Sunday.  After a 40m ssb Q Laci asked me to go to 10 & 20 and at least 20m
had loud signals for both of us.  Eight Q's with Laci this weekend.  Always very
enjoyable contacts.  Not sure why we had trouble - 10 had some loud sigs.
Timing is everything they say.

Sports interfered with op time Saturday with the Phillies game on Saturday night
which wasn't too bad with watching the tv picture without audio but Sunday the
Eagles game wasn't carried on live tv so I had to be happy listening to the game
feed on internet radio which meant not many Q's made during that time.  After
the football game Sunday was over I had to feed my chihuahua Taco and I was
pretty much finished serious operating.  It seemed Q's were very hard to come by
on Sunday.  I had trouble generating answers to CQ's and I tried everywhere.

In regards to so2r, serial number contests don't mingle well.  I didn't do any
making Q's on the non running band but its nice to have both rigs on another
band and ready to log stuff by switching quickly.  It keeps you busy and
interested.  So2r is a constant work in progress but I'm glad I took the
plunge.

The spotting network crashed constantly all weekend but I wound up working a lot
of counties anyway on Saturday.  I wound up needing 2 for a sweep Sunday
morning.  The network was working and it appeared both the counties I needed
would be active right at the start and got both within 8 minutes of start time.
Worked KZ3MW in PIK @ 1302 then snagged W3HDG in WAR @ 1308 - both on 40m ssb.
A minute later I worked N2CU on 80cw also in WAR quite easily.

Thanks to the rovers and portable operators who break camp in one place and go
to another to make us all happy by logging more Q's & mults.  Doing phone is
nice to say a few words to many of the cw friends I have made over the years.
Other than that its a lot of work, hi.  Hope to see you all next year.

Rural wooded location 1255ft ASL

K4 & Acom 2000a
K3/P3 KPA1500

2el K4KIO 5 band Hexbeam @30ft  G-450A rotor & Green Heron controller
40m/80m/short 160(traps) Inv vees @ 40ft
Rx ant - 200ft NE/SW kd9sv rbog

SO2R(2 keyboard) >> TopTen DxDoubler-Band Aides-relays-W2VJN stubs
VA6AM triplexer with high power BPFs 10-20mtrs
N1MM+ contest logger & DxLab master logger