[3830] PaQP K8MR Multi-Op Mobile LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 9 21:06:23 EDT 2022

                    Pennsylvania QSO Party - 2022

Call: K8MR
Operator(s): K8MR AF8A
Station: K8MR

Class: Multi-Op Mobile LP
QTH: 22 Counties

   40:   560     7
   20:   157    13
   15:    33     7
   10:     7     3
--------------------

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Gary, AF8A, and I had another good PAQP mobile effort. We did have a late change
of plans. We had hoped to do the contest on Saturday and ride our bikes on the
Ghost Town Trail in Indiana and Cambria counties on Sunday. However, a forecast
of 35F overnight temperature caused us to skip the ride and return to Cleveland
on Saturday night.

Good conditions, including high band activity and short skip. But after good
activity and conditions for the California QSO Party the previous weekend, we
had only five California QSOs, single QSOs with AZ and CO, and missed ID, MT,
UT, WY, NM, MS, LA, and more. Even missed GTA. OTOH managed 59 QSOs with OM2VL
and 38 with NA1NA.

Only two hours with rates below 75/hr (17Z & 21Z). Best rate was 116/hr at
01Z.

The only scare happened while parked for food in Huntingdon. It may have had to
do with having the minivan side door opened, but a QSY to 20 froze the computer.
I had to do a hard restart, at which point N1MM came up not knowing where we
were. Fortunately I was able to get back to the needed database where the log
existed, but I still had to reset all the radio configuration settings.

Gary did the majority of the driving, but my driving time included getting us
lost on the way from Somerset to Bedford, resulting in more time in Bedford than
planned. We ended up skipping Montour for time, but managed to finish the
contest two miles from the Ohio line.

Anyway, it was great making lots of QSOs while watching the fall colors and a
wonderful full moon.

73 - Jim  K8MR