[3830] IlQP AD4EB Mobile LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Oct 17 13:55:59 EDT 2022

                    Illinois QSO Party - 2022

Call: AD4EB
Operator(s): AD4EB
Station: AD4EB

Class: Mobile LP
QTH: Tennessee

  160:
   80:     204
   40:     627
   20:     403
   15:      18
------------------------
Total:    1252      0  Mults = 76  Total Score = 190,304

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

This was the 8th time Melody and I operated mobile in the ILQP.  We ended up shy
of last year's score of 1,313 QSOs and 83 mults. Melody drove the same route as
last year, covering all of the planned 23 counties (307 miles), and stayed
pretty much right on schedule.  Weather was perfect, sunny and cool.

We finally got our new van after waiting 6 months for it to arrive, a 2023 KIA
Carnival MPV (multi-purpose vehicle), guess the word "van" has some
sort of stigma associated to it.  Spent most of last week getting it set up for
the contest. I was concerned about RFI generated by the vehicle getting into the
radio, and even more so RFI from my 100W radio affecting the vehicle computers.
I was very happy to find none of the above occurred, there was absolutely no
interference either way. It turned out to be an incredibly effective ham radio
vehicle, and most importantly Melody liked the comfort and the almost
self-driving features.

Participation was a bit lower than last year, 255 unique calls vs 279 last year.
 Thought we could beat our 2021 score as 15m was expected to be open and
popular. It was often open, but very few stations showed up to answer my CQs so
pretty much gave up on 15m. OM2VL moved me there a couple of times.  There was
good short skip on 20m and 40m. Best rate for 1 hour was 198.

As usual, the pileups got bigger as the contest neared the end.  Thought I
managed pretty well, but there were times when about everyone tuned exactly on
my frequency or precisely where I was spotted, making it very difficult to pick
out any one station.  Certain stations consistently called me above or below my
frequency and got worked quickly. OM2VL, WN4AFP, and K4AMC come to mind.

APRS was used again this year accessible  via a link on my QRZ.com webpage.  It
shows our live location, county lines, and proposed route. It was pretty obvious
who was using it, as they were usually the first ones to work us when entering a
new county.  K3IE, OM2VL, K5ZM, W8PI, VE2FK, and W1QK seemed to have used it in
this contest as they were most often the first to work me.

I knew 15m was open because Laci OM2VL moved me there for my only 15m QSO.  But
I was so busy on 20m and 40m that I never found the time to try and get
something going there.

Those that worked me 20 or more times include:

K4ZGB (30)
K5CM (27)
OM2VL (27)
W8PI (26)
WN4AFP (24)
K9CT (23)
VE2FK (23)
W1QK (22)
W5TM (22)
K3IE (21)
WA0JCO (20)

We appreciate everyone who took the time to work us in this contest. And thanks
to the WIARC for making this contest happen, and especially to Jim N9JF for his
coordination efforts.

Most of all, thanks to Melody for driving and navigating me down around Illinois
for the 2022 ILQP.  Hope we can do it again next year.

73 - Jim (AD4EB) and Melody (KI4HVY)