[3830] CWopsT K9ZO Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Oct 26 11:42:14 EDT 2022

                    CWops Test (CWT) - 1300Z Oct 26

Call: K9ZO
Operator(s): K9ZO
Station: K9ZO

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: IL

Total:  153  Mults = 153  Total Score = 23,409

Club: Metro DX Club

Comments:

Exhausted.  Antibiotics kept me up until 3 AM so I will need a nap.  The rain
has stopped and I have a lot to do outside before it turns cold in a week or so.
Before the afternoon CWT. I want to lower the 40 inverted vee and cut off some
wire to move resonance.  Looks like the local hams wimped out on helping repair
the SteppIR 18e.  Never worked well on 40.  I am working on the feed point
coaxes in the shack, but want to get outside and lower the 40 inverted vee and
trim it a bit.  If it gets tangled I am QRT.

I have not touched the 40 meter 4 square in a week.

Since last CWT I got really tired from burying radials - 20 for the 60 meter
vertical, and 21 for the 160 meter vertical.  There are about 20 left to do, but
in a pinch I can lay them on the surface.  I think there are enough connected to
check the resonance and impedance and see about matching networks.  Fortunately
I have enough done that I can make progress when it is cold outside. I still
have a lot to do for low band vertical because I have to deeply trench in
hardlines before laying radials near the surface. This was hard because the wind
blew the dirt and I had to go into the field and dig lots of dirt to cover the
wires. Soldering was difficult because it was so windy.  Repaired the 80 meter 4
square radials, but noticed creaking in the vertical tubing, so this is a sign
of motion and it may be a big project when I lower then to add guy wires.  IT
got so windy I had to quit the radials, but took a ladder and put stainless
steel eye screws in the trees that were holding the inverted vees, so the ends
are not at about 12 feet instead of 6 ft. If course, this involved a ladder and
a chainsaw to cut more branches. I may have to relocate some of the endsto make
sure wires don't touch in the wind.

It has been a busy week. My brother and sister-in-law visited from California,
primarily to spend time with Dad who is now 98.  We took him to a junior high
girls basketball game.  It was a new experience for him.  We also went out to
eat afterwards and it took a while to find a place because many places had
closed indoor dining due to lack of workers. We had had him come to the house
for dinner.  Oldest son was 42 this week!  My wife will be 70 this weekend.

I was low power because I have not looked into why the PGXL quit last week. I
just barely got on this CWT at the start.  40 WPM was comfortable.  Initially
there were no western guys coming in and I needed lots of CQs.  At 1315Z had 43
QSOs and at 1320Z some west made in in .  At 1331 had 92 QSOs.  Great frequency.
 At 1339 had 113 QSOs, but was running out of people.  The timing for S&P at
the end was pretty good, but rate dropped.

Headed outside!