[3830] CQWW SSB K7RL SOAB Classic HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 30 23:40:21 EDT 2022

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2022

Call: K7RL
Operator(s): K7RL
Station: K7RL

Class: SOAB HP
Class Overlay: Classic
QTH: WA

  160:    2     2        2
   80:   96    17       24
   40:  300    26       48
   20:  724    34      100
   15:  833    30       81
   10:  237    21       48

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

Decided to do the 24 hour "Classic" overlay. Seems like every contest
weekend these days the K index soars to ridiculous levels and I didn't see
myself sitting for 40+ hours fighting it. In hindsight, conditions were better
than I expected, but not as good as I had hoped.

Nice to see 10m open. Worked a number of EU skew path towards South America. The
zone 33 guys were super loud, especially D4Z. JA/YB were weak Friday and
Saturday afternoon/evening, but Sunday the band came alive. Lots of loud SA.

15m was interesting. It opened both mornings direct path to EU. The band was
packed to the max and it was difficult to get any long, sustained runs. JA/YB/BA
were excellent all weekend.

20m acted like 15m, except Sunday the solar veil finally parted allowing some
excellent EU runs with a sprinkling of rare DX calling in. The band was a zoo
all weekend including several occasions where I had the distinct pleasure of
sharing my run frequency with stations I couldn't hear. How fun is that?

The high K index crushed most EU signals on 40m. Stations that are usually loud
were weak. Saturday night was a little better than Friday. Didn't spend a huge
amount of time here because the high bands were so good.

With so many bands open at once, and the restrictive rules for the Classic
category, I struggled to find that delicate balance between S&P and running.

Thanks to all for the Qs.

73, Mitch, K7RL