[3830] CQWW SSB K9CT M/2 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Oct 31 13:40:34 EDT 2022

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2022

Call: K9CT
Operator(s): KB9OWD W9MR NE9U AB9YC K9CT WT2P
Station: K9CT

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: IL

  160:   42     9       17
   80:  213    22       63
   40:  526    30       94
   20:  807    38      116
   15: 1508    35      126
   10: 1736    34      131

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Great teamwork for the entire contest! Little sleep as we kept as busy as the
bands allowed. Lots of high rate both mornings on 10 and 15 kept four operators
totally focused.

Propagation was obviously improved on the higher bands and less so on the low
bands. We noticed up and down conditions several times during each days with
elevated geomagnetic activity. Very pleasant to have 20m open before dawn
followed by an awesome opening on 15. 10 was an hour or so later. 10 and 15 took
turns being the best band to be on and 20 took a second fiddle role. Every time
we moved to 20m it was not as good as 15 or 10. Signal levels were lower and of
course stations were crowded up and down the band.

40m is tough for us. We think that 40 SSB is the hardest of all bands as there
is not enough room and a skip zone away from either coast. Our overnight hours
are productive as the band clears out and we get good propagation to the west.
We do the best we can.

80 and 160 seem to be down compared to the low sunspot years. Our QSO and
multiplier counts were down from the last few years. I know that with 10 and 15
open that they might be getting more attention. Noise was not bad and we had all
of the Beverages up.

We had some new antennas this year. New were an OWA for both 15 and 10 with
higher in band isolation than prior years. I am sure that they contributed to
more QSOs and multipliers by the partner radios. We have an 80m yagi to use but
not all the work has been completed to get that in the mix. Hopefully by CQ WW
CW if the weather cooperates.

Food and Fun were the keys to our weekend! We have fun together and enjoy each
other's company. Interleaving QSOs is a blast and great teammates make that
happen! Thanks to everyone on the team for their contributions.

Our score is a bit higher than last year. Low band vs higher band tradeoffs. We
think conditions and scores will continue to climb with the cycle 25
advancement.

Thanks for all of the QSOs and fun! See you in the next one.

73, Craig K9CT