[3830] CQWW SSB K3EST(@N6RO) M/M HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Oct 31 14:37:23 EDT 2022

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2022

Call: K3EST
Operator(s): K3EST KK6PXT K6KM N6RO N6WM VA7RR W6DMW
Station: N6RO

Class: M/M HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 48
Remote Operation

  160:  133    10       11
   80:  465    18       31
   40: 1017    32       88
   20:  945    34      113
   15: 1215    34      113
   10:  607    28       79

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

A fun weekend despite variable conditions.  No band had any real runs into
Europe. It was almost all S&P. The mults were there in Europe but no
sustained runs. On the other hand Japan was really present on 40 and 15. Thank
goodness for their activity.

All the equipment worked without a hitch. The on-site presence of everyone made
the social life very nice compared to the sterile remote activity. The new
rotatable 80 meter dipole really played. Below are the comments of the
operators. We all pushed very hard. We wrung the bands clean for all that was
available from the farthest continental west point MM in the US. . Thanks to all
the JAs, VKs and YBs that filled out our log.

It was a very nice treat to have Gary operate at the station. He was one of the
first ops long ago that sat in a chair at N6RO. Welcome back Gary!

Thanks to our host Ken, N6RO for providing this wonderful, opportunity to do
what we all love!

160: Ken, N6RO  led off on 10m, bagging 106 x 30 in an hour+.  W6DMW finished
off 10m before going to 80m for an overnighter - he had 293 x 18 first night
with 92 JAs.  I ate pizza until 06z, relieving KK6PXT, who led  off on 160m..
Had a frustrating time until 14z, trying to copy spotted Caribbeans, couldn't
hear most of them.  Only two JAs first night.  Sat night was no better until
about 07z, when I wkd a few Carr11ibeans.  Was about to quit abt 11z when a JA
called in.  Stayed on til 14z, bagging 17 more JAs.  On both nights, no trace of
EU, AF, SA, VK, ZL, UA0.  Hoping for better TOPBAND in WW CW.   Jumped on to 40m
in last hour, what a mess, all needed mults were below7125, no splits.  did log
a VE and an IB

80: First night: David, W6DMW  Seemed like it was going to be slow then about
0400 things started to speed up and were fairly consistent until 1100.  The high
dipole really helped get the signal exactly where I wanted it to be.  On the fly
adjustments helped with the SWR and being on the move.  Seemed like we were the
first station to get for the Zone 3 80m mult  Things went great!  Fun team and
station as always!

80: Second night, Greg, KK6PXT  Second night duty on 80. Lots of CQ'ing never
heard EU. Worked a few ZL, BD mostly JA. JA seemed to roll in on 80 and 40 at
the same time. Good exercise using the dipole along with the tornado tuner feel
comfortable there. First time hanging out with the Graveyard Crew and watching
Monster Jam,that was fun

40: Bob, K3EST. From the beginning to about 0500 many Europeans heard but only a
few heard me. At about 07z the band opened to JA and it was really good until
15z. The band was still open to the far east but most had gone to bed to the
rate went away. The second day Europe showed at 22z but called CQ in without
hearing us. Again few Qs until the JAs showed again in large numbers after 07z.
Finishes the contest with 600 JAs in the log. Ken, N6RO took the last 30 min on
40.

20: Gary, VA7RR operated 20. The band was very spotty. No real runs until JAs
late Friday night. The the opening to Europe was poor Sat with no real runs.
Almost all Qs were S&P. Sunday the condx were worse and  the log reflected
few Europeans. The opening to the middle east was good and worked A6, A4, 9K
which are usually tough. A highlight was being called by two zone 39 stations:
S7 and FR.

15: Chris, N6WM 15 meters was a pleasure.  JA runs at contest start and again on
Saturday were off the hook. Although no solid runs into Europe, there were
plentiful stations there to work and managed to be victorious in must pile ups.
DXCC on 15 was easily worked …overall very pleased with outcome.

10: Ken, N6RO  led off on 10m, bagging 106 x 30 in an hour+.  Davis, W6DMW
finished off 10m.  Roberto, K6KM operated this band Saturday and Sunday.
Saturday the opening to EU was weak. Lots of EA but hard to pass beyond F6. SA
was also surprisingly weak in the morning improving towards the afternoon.
Worked almost every zone that popped up with not much effort. JA's were present
but no pile-ups. Sunday felt actually worse but managed to catch a few EU beyond
France. JA's came in trickling also but at a better rate. SA was louder but not
enough to run.