[3830] CQWW SSB K1CC(@K1ZZ) M/2 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Oct 31 14:58:31 EDT 2022

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2022

Call: K1CC
Operator(s): K1CC K1ZZ
Station: K1ZZ

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: CT

  160:   45    10       29
   80:  283    18       72
   40:  464    32       96
   20: 1395    38      126
   15: 1583    33      128
   10: 1470    31      126

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Our plan this year for a “casual effort” failed, we stayed glued to our
seats more than expected, thanks to the excellent band conditions.  This was a
minimalist M/2 operation, with just two radios and two operators – K1CC and
K1ZZ.  The resident phone operator, KA1ZD, was away.  We allowed ourselves sleep
time, making sure to get up at local sunrise for the morning runs.

I was concerned that I would not survive Sunday, having been used to operating
CQWW at KC1XX for a number of years, where relief is always available when
you’ve had enough.   And that happens a lot in a phone contest!   Somehow I
got through the end of this contest successfully with just a headache and a sore
throat and felt better than I usually do after a 48 hr contest.  I have no
explanation – maybe some things actually get better with age??

The K1ZZ/KA1ZD station is normally set up for SO2R so the antenna switching and
rotator controls were out of reach from the second position.  I really missed
not having an in-band radio so the primary operator can focus on running and the
second operator on the band sweeps up the mults and QSO’s.  I had several
instances of finding a clear frequency, asking several times if it was in use
before starting a CQ, only to be chased away a short time later by someone
claiming the frequency was theirs.   At what point do you oblige?

--- Rich K1CC